Press Office InternBookmark This
Boston Symphony Orchestra
301 Massachusetts Ave.
DescriptionThe Boston Symphony Orchestra, Inc., was founded in 1881 and is comprised of major sub-organizations including Boston Symphony Orchestra, Tanglewood Music Center, Days in the Arts, Tanglewood Festival Chorus, the Boston Pops, Esplanade Pops, and the Chamber Players. The Boston Symphony Orchestra performs in historic Symphony Hall from October through April. The Boston Pops Orchestra, under conductor Keith Lockhart, performs in Symphony Hall during May and June in addition to, annual series Holiday Pops concerts in December. In July and August the orchestra performs at Tanglewood, its summer home in the magnificent Berkshires of western Massachusetts. The administrative offices of the BSO employ approximately 175 people.
The Press Office Intern will work closely with the Press Office staff to provide administrative support while learning and being exposed to the variety of Public Relations for the Boston Symphony Orchestra through a variety of media outlets.
SCHEDULE (subject to change): September-December 2013
COMPENSATION: College credit only; there is no compensation for this internship. Office deals with all aspects of publicity for Tanglewood, the Boston Symphony, and the Boston Pops, so this position is ideal for someone who’s interested in a career in public relations and wants to see what it takes to succeed in this exciting field.
Responsibilities• Assist with administrative and organizational duties on behalf of the Press Office.
• Read, clip, and paste up BSO-related reviews and articles from newspapers, magazines, music journals, and other daily and periodic publications as well as articles from the clipping service.
• Assemble press kits for press conferences, special events, tours, and general use.
• Research information on performing artists, maintaining information sheets, photo files, and biographies for visiting artists
• Assist with other special projects, as assigned by Press Office staff, including researching media outlets and journalists
• Accompany press during rehearsals and concerts as needed
Requirements• Attention to detail and follow-through skills essential.
• Excellent organizational and office skills. Must be able to work on multiple jobs simultaneously.
• Outgoing, pleasant, and accommodating, with strong communication skills.
• Experience with copier and fax useful.