Communications Intern - Fall 2014Bookmark This
Active Minds, Inc.
2001 S Street NW, Suite 450
DescriptionActive Minds, Inc. is the leading organization dedicated to empowering students to speak openly about mental health in order to educate others and encourage help seeking. We are changing the culture on campuses and in the community by providing information, leadership opportunities and advocacy training to the next generation.
The Communications department supports all of Active Minds’ communications strategies and marketing activities, both external and internal. This includes online communications, public relations, website and design and management. The Communications Intern reports to the Director of Communications and Marketing and provides support in a busy, fast-paced environment.
Please note that the internships are unpaid and you must be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours a week to be considered. The internship is based out of our national office in Washington, DC.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please email the Internship Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume, cover letter, and one reference. Include the internship title and your dates of availability in the subject line.
Active Minds is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls please.
ResponsibilitiesEssential duties and responsibilities:
• Provide support in the development and implementation of Active Minds’ communications strategies and marketing activities, both external and internal
• Assist in the creation, editing, proofreading and design of materials ranging from website content, social media content, social media images, eNewsletters, press releases, internal materials, promotional materials, etc.
• Responsibilities will include drafting basic public relations materials including pitch letters, media alerts, fact sheets, creating and maintaining media lists, media clip summaries, and other databases.
• Conducting research to support key initiatives and media pitches.
• Strong communication and writing skills
• Excellent computer literacy, Internet and social media savvy with experience using Microsoft Office suite, etc.
• Prior communications work experience is strongly preferred
• Knowledge of PR, corporate communications and media relations through coursework and/or other internships
• Knowledge or ability to quickly learn new technology, including Blackbaud/Convio Luminate online marketing and email delivery tools, Salesforce, and Google Analytics;
• Ability to work in a flexible, fun, and strongly team-oriented environment
• Detail-oriented and well-organized
• Creativity and a can-do attitude
Pursuing a Bachelor's degree or higher in journalism, English, communications, marketing or public relations.
If you are someone passionate about making a difference, want to jump in and become a part of a fast-paced, exciting non-profit organization, and are interested in mental health education and awareness-building, we want to hear from you!