Communications InternBookmark This
National Hispana Leadership Institute
P.O. Box 53038
DescriptionAbout the National Hispana Leadership Institute
NHLI is a national 501(c)(3) organization based in Washington, D.C., established in 1987 to address the underrepresentation of Latinas in the corporate, nonprofit and government sectors. NHLI accomplishes its mission – to develop Hispanas as ethical leaders through training, professional development, relationship building, and community activism – by:
• Strengthening leadership abilities among Hispanic women through training, mentoring programs, and networking
• Engaging in advocacy to ensure that Latinas are in leadership positions and have the access and power to influence public policy
• Bringing together Latina leaders and connecting them with opportunities in the corporate, nonprofit and government sectors
• Creating awareness of Latina accomplishments by highlighting the work and experiences of Latina role models
Position Description: NHLI’s Communications Department is looking to strengthen its ability to generate more outreach opportunities through social media. This includes implementing online marketing strategies to promote our programs as well assisting in the creation and implementation of online fundraising strategies. This person is expected to work closely with the Communications and Online Manager and the Resource Development Coordinator.
NHLI seeks a full-time, well-rounded individual who can work at a fast pace supporting a vibrant nationwide program. This is a great opportunity for a well-organized, articulate person with strong writing skills and an interest in communications/PR to work for a growing national organization. The National Hispana Leadership Institute seeks a bright, motivated intern to join our team. Primary responsibilities include optimization of social media tools, online fundraising strategies, website management, database management, and administrative duties as assigned.
Hours: 20 to 40 hours per week
Direct Supervisor: Marketing and Alumnae Relations Specialist
Time Period: Summer 2014
ResponsibilitiesThe Communications intern will be responsible for assisting NHLI’s staff as follows:
• Help to expand NHLI’s online presence to enhance organizational marketing efforts and help to define strategies for fundraising opportunities online.
• Assist in managing and updating database.
• Monitoring, drafting content, and updating all social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.)
• Assisting in drafting thank you letters and processing them in a timely manner.
• Track statistics to measure efficacy and response to social media outlets, online solicitations, online campaigns and website to evaluate these tools.
• Maintain print and electronic newspaper archives.
• Researching Latina/Latino bloggers to promote NHLI’s programs and key stories through relevant blogs.
• Identify social media training opportunities for staff/interns.
• Identify daily press clips
• Other administrative tasks as appropriate and required to support program efforts.
• Great technology skills, experience working with social media and marketing tools.
• Highly motivated and passionate about technology, creativity and innovation.
• Experience and enthusiasm navigating social networking platforms, websites and other online communities.
• Strong writing skills.
• Strong knowledge of HTML and CSS is a plus.
• Background working with print and web design a plus (Adobe Creative Suite - Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign)
• Highly organized, high level of attention to detail.
• Positive attitude, ability to work in teams.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Familiarity with the nonprofit world, the Latino community, commitment to NHLI’s mission.
• Must feel comfortable working in a virtual setting.
• Must live in the DC metro area.