Writing, marketing, and graphic designBookmark This
Adirondack Weddings Magazine
101 Broad Street
DescriptionAdirondack Weddings, a nationally-acclaimed newsstand bridal magazine and website, is seeking interns in the areas of writing, marketing, and graphic design.
Candidates should be college students (grad or undergrad) with a strong portfolio of writing samples, design samples, and/or related materials. Relevant coursework and experience with student media preferred.
• Excellent writing skills and a love of proper grammar
• Proficiency in Photoshop, InDesign, and WordPress
• Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and eager to learn
Exact responsibilities are tailored to the intern’s skills, but might include any or all of the following:
• Writing/reporting original stories for the website and/or the print magazine. Topics include real weddings, love stories, vendor spotlights, local history, outdoor adventure, DIYs, recipes, etc.
• Editorial design for web (inspiration boards, color palettes, vendor spotlights, real weddings, DIYs, etc)
• Graphic design including design of print advertisements and marketing materials
• Assisting on photo shoots (planning, styling, shooting behind the scenes footage, etc.)
• Increasing awareness of the magazine and strengthening relationships with readers and vendors via marketing efforts on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, direct mail, phone, etc., as well as occasionally in person
• Attendance at bridal show events or other relevant events (if any take place during internship period)
The intern will work closely with and be directly supervised by the Publisher/Editor-in-Chief. The internship will give you invaluable hands-on experience and great clips/samples for your portfolio. This is not a “making coffee” internship!
Adirondack Weddings is available in 13 states and Canada, making it one of the world’s most widely available regional bridal magazines. Our readers (50,000+ in print, 100,000+ online) come from both near and far to marry here each year. Our editorial coverage region includes the world-famous towns of Lake Placid, Lake George, Saratoga Springs, Saranac Lake, and Ticonderoga.
Our debut issue won a 2012 Eddie Award, one of the magazine industry's highest honors, in the “Full Issue — Annual” category. Our third and latest issue, currently on newsstands, has just been nominated for another Eddie for its cover story on Valcour Island. Our second issue won awards for photography and design. (With just three issues under our belt, we might be the most decorated bridal magazine in history!)
The magazine can be found at retail chains including Barnes & Noble, Rite Aid, Price Chopper, Hannaford, Wegmans, and many more.
Positions are on-site in historic Plattsburgh, New York, a small city on Lake Champlain at the base of the Adirondack Mountains. If you are not local, assistance in finding short-lease housing (at intern’s expense) may be available.
RequirementsTIME FRAME/START DATE
Available positions correspond with the following academic semesters: Spring (January to May), Summer (May to August) and Fall (September to December). Exact start and end dates are flexible.
16-40 hours per week for the duration of the academic semester.
Intern must own his or her own functioning laptop with the Adobe Design Suite (5, 5.5 or 6) or a Creative Cloud membership.
Academic credit only. This is an unpaid internship position.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis and positions remain open until filled. Positions are currently open for the Spring 2014 semester (January to May).
Email your resume to Laura Ward (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line "Editorial and Marketing Internship." Feel free to include links and attachments to work samples. In your introductory email/cover letter, please explain why you are a good fit for the position and include the following:
A. Your level of proficiency with Photoshop, InDesign, and WordPress.
B. Your favorite magazines and blogs.
C. Your preferred semester.
D. Your student status and current geographic location. (Please apply only if you are willing to relocate to Plattsburgh, NY for the duration of the internship semester.)
BONUS TIP: If you’re familiar with the print magazine, let us know! (We have a partial list of our retail locations on our website. Not sold in your region? All three back issues are available for sale online.)
NOTIFICATION AND INTERVIEW PROCESS
Candidates under serious consideration will be notified by email within one week and invited to participate in a phone interview. (Candidates interested in a position for Spring 2014 are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.)