Communications InternTorrent Pharmaceutical Ltd
Blogging and Social Media InternThe Pocketbook Agency
Social Media/Influencer RelationsArctic Fox Hair Color
Communications InternAction for Boston Community Development, Inc.
Office Assistant $29 per hour.Cabot Corporation
Fashion and Beauty Media InternshipStyleHaul
Social Media InternStyleHaul
Digital Talent InternStyleHaul
Communications Internship with MASSPIRGBookmark This
294 Washington Street, Suite 500
Posted: September 13 2016
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: 3 Part-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionCommunication is a key component of political advocacy, and social media and other methods of online communication are becoming increasingly important tools for disseminating information and shaping public opinion.
MASSPIRG is looking for smart, creative interns to help our online communication efforts. We’re in competition for the public’s attention with celebrity antics, corporate marketing, and cute animal memes, and we need to create a compelling online narrative that connects with our audience and builds support for the issues we work on.
MASSPIRG is a non-profit organization that advocates for the public interest through research, lobbying, and organizing. We work on a diverse set of issues, with the connecting thread being opposition to the wealthy, powerful special interests that use their influence to disadvantage the public for their own benefit.
The issues we’re working on this spring include:
• Promoting public transportation and alternatives to driving.
• Increasing recycling and reducing waste.
. Protecting Consumers from rip-offs.
• Promoting public health by stopping the overuse of antibiotics on factory farms.
• Passing the national Government by the People Act and empowering small donors.
As a MASSPIRG communications intern, you’ll work with our staff of attorneys and advocates to craft the right message for each campaign, develop a media strategy, and create content that informs and motivates the public to get involved in the political process.
Internship Overview and How to Apply
• Candidates must commit to 12-25 hours per week. Schedules are flexible and interns can work anytime during our normal work hours of Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm in our Downtown Boston Office.
• All years and majors are welcome to apply and there is no minimum GPA. Ideal candidates will have strong communications skills, an interest in social and political issues, and previous campaign experience.
• Send an email to Deirdre Cummings at email@example.com stating your interest. Include your resume and a compelling cover letter.
ResponsibilitiesOur approach requires each intern not only to develop expertise in public policy, but also to become skilled in the political process. Responsibilities will vary depending on the direction of the internship, but, generally, you can expect to:
• Research the issues we are campaigning on. Learn about the history and become immersed in the current debate. Facts, figures and examples are the bedrock of any intelligent public policy debate. As a MASSPIRG intern you will pull together the research necessary to illustrate a problem and demonstrate the viability of the proposed solution.
• Develop an effective communications strategy. Whether a MASSPIRG proposal becomes public policy is often a matter of how the problem is framed for public debate. You will work to identify shifting reasons why the pubic supports or opposes a policy.
• Create content that is informative and helps build public support for our campaigns. Design graphics, compose messages, and craft a compelling online narrative that complements our advocacy work and helps bring about real social change.
RequirementsWhat qualities and abilities does being a MASSPIRG communications intern require?
• A strong commitment to public interest issues.
• Strong organizational abilities.
• The ability to engage others, whether one-on-one or in a group.
• The ability to think strategically.
• A willingness to engage in creative conflict, to persevere, and to lead by example.
We have additional internship opportunities available at MASSPIRG. We have internships available for undergraduate and graduate students in law, political science, public policy, sociology or environmental studies, but students in any area of study may apply. Intern supervisors provide ongoing training. Previous campaign, advocacy, and/or communications experience is a plus.