Design and Usability Engineer - InternBookmark This
444 Ramona Street
Palo Alto, CA
DescriptionWorks under the supervision of the CTO & VP Engineering to design, and develop the presentation layers (GUI components) and visualization tools for application systems and sub-systems. Performs and interprets functional specifications and module definitions to yield design and layout of major components. Works closely with VP Engineering and applications engineer to interpret functional requirements, conducts task analysis and usability tests that drive GUI component development. Applies human factors principles using established Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) guidelines. Ability to use object-oriented methodologies to ensure usability and standardization throughout product development. Participates in implementation of new features and components, and contributes to the products quality infrastructure as required for product releases.
Elliptic Labs has developed touchless gesture software to deliver robust, natural touchless gesturing that is adaptive to the human style of interaction for portable consumer devices. Elliptic Labs’ solution is intuitive and allows broad motion all around the device, beyond the range of alternate technologies like camera, capacitive and IR. Additionally, Elliptic Labs’ ultrasonic touchless gesture works as flawlessly in dim light as bright light, offers a much wider field of view and can be used anywhere-anytime.
Elliptic Labs launched the first commercially available ultrasound based touchless gesturing technology for consumer electronic devices. Elliptic’s ultrasound is the only technology to use sound waves and microphones to detect movement all around the device – even behind and above it.
Elliptic Labs’ ultrasound touchless gesturing is easily integrated into small devices like smartphones and tablets, and the technology uses 95% less battery power than its’ strongest competitors. By using ultrasound technology for touchless gesturing, Elliptic Labs delivers unique usages that are not possible with any other of today’s technologies.
Responsibilities• Deadlines/Schedules - The ability to complete job requirements on schedule as well as the ability to communicate job status to CTO and VP Engineering.
• Cost-Effectiveness - The ability to produce and oversee quality work within profitability goals.
• Communication Skills - The ability to provide effective communication between all internal disciplines.
RequirementsPrefer at least one year of schooling toward Bachelors/Associates degree or newly graduated in Computer Science, Visual Arts, Graphic Design or a related field.
• Ability to design and develop presentation layers (GUI components) and visualization tools for application systems and sub-systems.
• Ability to perform and interpret functional specifications and module definitions to yield design and layout of major components.
• Create rapid prototypes of interfaces to be used as a blueprint for content and technical development.
• Knowledge/Interest with touchless gesture.
• Creating or editing images and graphics for website use.
• Knowledge of programming platforms such as .NET and Java.
• Some Experience with mobile development.
• Ability to apply human factors principles using established Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) guidelines, an interest in observing and analyzing how humans interact with computers.
• Ability to use object-oriented methodologies to ensure usability and standardization throughout product development.
• Participation in the implementation of new features and components, and contributes to the products quality infrastructure as required for product releases.
• Assists in documentation of development activities to accommodate future maintenance.
• Produces documentation or services in accord with a pre-established schedule or plan.