Software Engineering / Computer Science / Web Design / Programming InternshipBookmark This
Eastern NC Regional Science Center (GO-Science)
319 S. Cotanche Street
DescriptionGO-Science is a nonprofit regional science and technology center located in Greenville, NC that is in the process of opening a new facility in downtown Greenville to serve a 29 county region with hands-on educational programming in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. We reach over 20,000 participants annually through over 19 core programs deployed by over 800 volunteers throughout the region. This internship position will focus on the technology systems that enable our organization to meet its goals and objectives. As an intern you will gain experience in a variety of areas related to technical management and implementation.
Responsibilities• Plans site design by clarifying goals; designing functionality.
• Develops site navigation by categorizing content; funneling traffic through content.
• Develops site content and graphics by coordinating with copywriters and graphic artists; designing images, icons, banners, audio enhancements, etc.
• Prepares site by installing and configuring server software; installing programming language using authoring and formatting tools; ensuring cross-platform compatibility; establishing links.
• Establishes locatability by registering with search engines.
• Upgrades site by updating content and graphics; monitoring performance and results; identifying and evaluating improvement options; introducing new technology; maintaining links.
• Protects site by designing and installing security precautions.
• Maintains site appearance by developing and enforcing content and display standards; editing submissions.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
• Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
• Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
• Accomplishes information systems and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
• Establishes Web system specifications by analyzing access, information, and security requirements; designing system infrastructure.
• Establishes Web system by planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of server hardware, software, and operating and system management systems; defining system and operational policies and procedures.
• Maintains Web system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting system hardware, software, and operating and system management systems; designing and running system load/stress testing; escalating application problems to vendor.
• Secures Web system by developing system access, monitoring, control, and evaluation; establishing and testing disaster recovery policies and procedures; completing back-ups; maintaining documentation.
• Upgrades Web system by conferring with vendors and services; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements and new software.
• Meets financial requirements by submitting information for budgets; monitoring expenses.
• Updates job knowledge by tracking emerging Internet technologies; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
• Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.