Student Intern - Software Systems Engineering Technical Graduate Summer 2014Bookmark This
Sandia National Laboratories
P.O. Box 5800
DescriptionSandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation with major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California. We are a world-class team of scientists, engineers, technologists, post docs, and visiting researchers all focused on cutting-edge technology, ranging from homeland defense, global security, biotechnology, and environmental preservation to energy and combustion research, computer security, and nuclear defense. To learn more, please visit our website at www.sandia.gov.
Sandia National Laboratories is searching for summer graduate student interns to join the Enterprise Information Systems Department located in our Albuquerque, NM facility. This position is a temporary, part-time opportunity.
The student interns selected in this position will be required to obtain and maintain a DOE-granted “L-level” security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
The Enterprise Information Systems Department serves Sandia by providing agile, integrated, process-based IT solutions that enable our customers to achieve their business objectives and regulatory requirements effectively and efficiently. We optimize information systems at the enterprise level through process and technology consolidation, simplification and standardization and in doing so, help our customers satisfy their customer needs, enhance their ability to attract new business, and ultimately transform their business operations.
Performs work as an entry- to mid-level member of the workforce within a science and engineering environment involving graduate-level assignments, which may include research, application of project design and diagnostics, testing and documentation, development and analysis of technology options, and assembly and troubleshooting.
Primary Job Duties
Job assignments vary upon organization, discipline preference, and specific job requirements as defined in the job specification.
Duties may include working collaboratively with technical staff on developmental research, analysis of technology and engineering options, project design, testing, formulating conclusions, data collection, and analyzing experimental data.
We seek motivated and customer-oriented software engineering graduate students who are prepared to apply his/her emerging technical skills and interests to challenging software development and support projects. Primary job duties include building, deploying, and supporting web-based applications using proven software engineering processes, configuration management, and web protocols. The ideal candidate will possess a strong interest in learning the ability to apply advanced web technologies and engage in front-end user interface development as well as server-side business logic and relational database interaction. We value excellent communication skills, agility in adapting to change, the ability to work with high-performing teams, outstanding customer service, and emerging technical skills.
RequirementsKnowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Demonstrated knowledge of technical principles and processes.
• Understanding of and demonstrated ability to use a variety of research tools.
• Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to contribute in a team environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of project management.
• Extensive knowledge of a suite of software, including Microsoft Office.
• The successful candidate must meet the following Sandia Student Intern Requirements:
1. Official acceptance into an accredited university's graduate program
2. Full-time enrollment during the spring term immediately preceding the internship period (9 credit hours)
3. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5/4.0
4. Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
5. U.S. Citizenship
• Education - Enrollment in a master's degree program in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or other relevant discipline. Completed a bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or other relevant discipline
• Team/Communication: strong teamwork and effective interpersonal and communication skills
• Performance: consistent record of strong performance
• Analytical: proven analytical and problem-solving skills
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Candidates must apply online.
To learn more about this position and to apply online, please visit our Careers page at http://www.sandia.gov/careers/search-openings.html and reference Job Opening ID Number: 644568.
U.S. Citizenship Normally Required. Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.