Computer Scientist/Engineer with interest in Financeiam
Web Designer (Remote)Geopolitical Intelligence System
WordPress Design Intern (FASHION - COLLEGE CREDIT)The Stylist Online
Back-End Developer Intern (PHP Developer)WREVEL
MA Cannabis Company seeks Digital Advertising & Web Analytics InternArdent
Looking For a MOBILE APP TESTING Intern for a Hot New Messaging Start-Up!exactly.me
Knowledge Management InternLutheran Immigration and Refugee Service
Information Technology / Software EngineeringTDM Business Toole Suite
Virtual Software Engineer InternBookmark This
Open Learning Exchange, Inc.
Posted: September 14 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe Open Learning Exchange, Inc. (OLE) is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Virtual Software Engineer Intern. An overview of OLE, the advertised position, and desired qualifications are outlined below:
Job Title: Virtual Software Engineer Intern
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Weekly Hours: 16-24 hours/week
The Open Learning Exchange, Inc. (http://www.ole.org) is a small social benefit organization (501c3) committed to working with educational innovators and their governments in the developing world to transform their villages and cities into powerful learning communities. We emphasize team-based coaching, open-source educational content, and frequent sharing of information using a low-cost digital library network that works off the Internet with locally-generated power. This approach is especially effective working with remote and marginalized communities and schools with limited resources. Our goal is to enable the members of these communities to transform learning into an active, engaging, and sustainable process that is relevant to the specific and evolving needs of everyone in their community. Currently, OLE is providing strategic advice and technical assistance to its emerging nation-based OLE Centers in Nepal, Rwanda, Ghana, Mexico, Kenya, Jordan, and others under development.
Our organization seeks a dedicated, passionate Virtual Software Engineering Intern to assist with delivering hardware, software, and technical support to various e-learning programs around the globe. Daily responsibilities will include software quality assurance testing, hardware/software troubleshooting and testing, software development, and other technical-related tasks. This position is ideal for an undergraduate or graduate student interested in software development, mechanical engineering, and/or low-cost technologies.
We ask that our Virtual Software Engineer Interns commit to a minimum schedule of 16 hours/week with a minimum 3-month contract. Interns are expected to communicate regularly with the OLE team using Gitter (https://gitter.im/open-learning-exchange/chat). This position is ideal for individuals looking for semester-long internships, with an opportunity to extend beyond the initial contract period. Preference will be given to a candidate who can commit at least 4 months to OLE. Please note that this position is unpaid, but it will provide diverse experiences in the workplace. Academic advisor is available for supporting need for university course credit.
The Software Engineer Intern receives direct supervision from the Chief Technology Officer.
ResponsibilitiesPrincipal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist with the development of our software as needed
2. Assist with the software QA process and deployments of the library’s software and hardware
RequirementsRequired Qualifications and Skills:
- Commitment to OLE’s mission
- Be interested in learning new skills
- Able to self-direct, prioritize, and take initiative
- Detail-oriented and exceptionally organized
- Have a sense of humor and enjoy working as a part of a small, collaborative team
- Working knowledge of Markdown syntax documentation
- Familiarity with and an active user of GitHub
- Be flexible and able to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Previous experience in an international or non-profit setting
- Familiarity with computer hardware and open source platforms
- Familiarity with Android and apps
- Working knowledge of Linux, in particular with Raspbian (the Debian-derived OS for Raspberry Pi)
- Working knowledge of non-SQL databases, such as Apache CouchDB
- Working knowledge of Node.js
- Understanding of IP networks
- Familiarity with Docker
Preferred - Computer Hardware, Android, Linux, CouchDB, Node.js, IP Networking, Software Quality Assurance