Native American Student Internship in Data, GIS and AnalyticsBookmark This
Big Water Consulting
1411 4th Avenue, Suite 1111
DescriptionBig Water Consulting is launching an internship program designed to provide Native college interns with the requisite hands-on training in data collection, management, updating, presentation and archiving and the use of GIS software to promote more efficient and effective management, planning and advocacy practices within tribes and tribal entities.
Big Water Consulting will facilitate a project-specific partnership between each intern and a tribe, tribal organization or other entity working closely with tribal programs. Interns will be trained to use programs, such as ArcGIS, ‘R’ statistical software, MS Office, the Adobe suite of software, and other geospatial and statistical software necessary to support the data-related goals or objectives of the partner agency or organization. The selected intern must be able to receive academic credit for the work completed during the spring term and Big Water Consulting will submit the necessary documentation to support the selected interns’ official request for credit.
Location: Big Water Consulting office, Seattle, Washington
Duration: Summer Term: 10 week internship for academic credit
ResponsibilitiesIn cooperation with their partner tribe or tribal agency, interns will design and complete a project during the course of the internship and present the results of that project to the beneficiary tribal entity at the end of the internship.
1. Enrollment in a state or federally recognized tribe
2. Demonstrated ability to receive academic credit for internship for the Spring academic term
3. Proficiency using Microsoft Office and/or other software
All applicants must submit the following documents to complete their application:
1. A 2-page (or 500-word) statement of interest describing:
a. applicant’s interest and/or experience in working with tribes, tribal agencies or related agencies or organizations on data collection or management projects, and
b. subject matter that applicant would like to address during the internship (e.g., education, housing, healthcare, economic development, etc.)
2. Unofficial college or university transcript (copy)
3. Completed Internship Application (download from bigwaterconsulting.net/internship)
4. Official tribal document or card illustrating enrollment in recognized tribe (copy)
5. Copy of official tribal document or card illustrating enrollment in tribe
6. Applicant’s résumé or typed statement listing prior work experience (copy)
Completed applications may be emailed (preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the addresses below by the March 31, 2014 deadline. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.