Sustainable Development InternWorld Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA)
Communication and Development AssistantPhysicians for Social Responsiblity
Fundraising InternWorld Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA)
Art Gallery / Program Development Internship (Spring/Summer 2014)Alfa Art Gallery
Business Development / Communications for book tourIActive
Development AssociateBookmark This
The Black Institute
39 Broadway; Suite 1540
New York, NY
DescriptionThe Black Institute is a New York-based, nonprofit purposed to shape intellectual discourse and dialogue and impact public policy uniquely from a Black perspective. Our mission to change the discourse of public debate, train and educate new leadership, develop initiatives to build wealth and power, and to deliver justice is accomplished through research, data gathering, polling, academic partnerships, civic education, training and development, and issue based organizing and campaigning. The condition of Black people in America is the result of a multitude of factors including class, education, housing, and systemic barriers to political and civic engagement. Therefore, our work is focused on issues that have the most impact on black communities - Immigration Reform; Education; Environmental Justice; and Economic Fairness.
For its Development Associate position, The Black Institute seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, outgoing individual with experience and/or interest in development and fundraising and building brand recognition for a non-profit social enterprise. flexible and diplomatic individual who can multitask in a fast-paced environment for our Administration & Accounting Internship.
The Development Associate assists our Executive Director (ED) with any and all administrative tasks relating to TBI’s development and fundraising efforts.
Responsibilities• Conducting grant and award research
• Creating TBI’s contact lists and donor databases
• Preparing letters of inquiry, letters of intent, and grant applications and proposals
• Tracking and monitoring grant and contract obligations and preparing reports
• Performing clerical duties- including data entry, email and mail correspondence, office supply inventory, and answering phones
• Greeting and assisting clients
• Planning and coordination fundraisers and special events and related travel and/or accommodations for these events
• Assisting the President, Executive Director and staff as directed
• Other duties as assigned by the President and Executive Director
• Scheduling and prioritizing internal and external meetings and activities
• Coordinating travel and outside activities
Requirements• Experience working, volunteering or interning for a nonprofit organization
• Experience and/or interest in development and fundraising initiatives.
• Outstanding, outgoing interpersonal skills, high energy level, and ability to speak persuasively in front of large and small groups
• Competency with social media, donor data management systems and e-newsletters
• Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and desktop publishing
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills a must
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others