The Parish School Development Intern through the ExxonMobil Community Summer Jobs ProgramBookmark This
The Parish School
11001 Hammerly Blvd.
DescriptionThe Parish School's mission is to identify, educate and empower children who have language and learning differences. The Parish School exists to rehabilitate children with language-learning differences and teach these children how they learn best.
There are a variety of projects available for selection by the Intern as time and talents permit. A member of the Development Department will supervise the Intern for each of these projects. The Intern will be encouraged to work on their own, but will also have support and guidance as needed. Some of the projects are listed below, but this list will continue to grow as the Development Department moves through the year and other needs become evident.
- School Auction Party- work with the event chair to select a theme for the Auction Party. He/she will develop this event from the ground up, including, but not limited to: logo design, invitation and program design, bid sheets, bid descriptor sheets, display boards, shadow boxes, etc.
-Design Invitations/Fliers for the 2014-15 school year including the Annual Golf Tournament, Annual Fund Drive and others.
-Develop Facebook posts (this would involve the intern researching educational articles, informative blogs that talk about children who have learning and language differences).
-Develop a system for logging parent volunteer hours.
-Develop “one pagers” for use in newsletters, website, and other print media.- Work with Director of Development to select 6-10 topics to create one-page documents that showcase the work of The Parish School. These may include photo collages of events such as Earth Day, Graduation, etc. or stories focusing on the important programs at the school such as Social Thinking, Adventure Play, The Association Method among others. We use at least 6 new one-pagers each fiscal year.
-Develop and refine professional contact lists and referral resources.
-Design 3 to 4 companion brochures/flyers to have on hand for new programs that serve students and the general public.
-Develop a system for logging, displaying photos from the past 31 years including determining what should be kept and what is not kept.
-Refine our spreadsheet of foundations; update board members, deadline dates, etc.
-Record videos that demonstrate different activities that new parents can engage their child in to enhance their child’s communication skills- Use The Parish School’s “Baby Monitor: A Language Development Guide” as a resource to film and edit these demonstration videos that will eventually be posted on The Parish School’s website.
ResponsibilitiesOther duties include:
• Participate in weekly development meetings
• Attend a Board of Directors meeting
• Meet with the Director of Development to create weekly summaries of accomplishments to the school as well as their professional growth
• Interface with summer camp staff as a member of the Development Team
• Participate in camp projects as needed
RequirementsApplicant must be a high school graduate and a currently enrolled, full-time undergraduate student. The applicant must be returning to school in the fall of 2014 as a full-time (minimum of 12 semester hours) sophomore, junior, or senior. The applicant can not be related to any employee or permanent contractor of ExxonMobil. The applicant can not be related to any employee or board member of The Parish School. This internship must be completed in eight consecutive weeks between June 1, 2014- August 31st, 2014.
Other requirements include:
• Interest and commitment to children with special needs
• Demonstrated aptitude in creative writing, layout and design and/or arts and education
• Possess the desire to learn new computer software
• Team oriented, self-starter with good organization and time management skills
• Ability to multi-task and adhere to deadlines
• Strong communication skills
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check
• Familiarity with Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator & Excel preferred
• Prefer some graphic design experience
• Video production experience is a plus