Business Development / Sales InternReliance capital Limited
Strategic Partnerships InternFeeding Children Everywhere
Development InternEsperanca, Inc.
Front-End Developer Intern at Tech Startup in New York CityEverlasting Footprint
Development FellowWestport Country Playhouse
Development Intern (Unpaid)The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Intern ProgrammerPhoenix Group Metals
Front End Dev InternshipBrick & Portal
Communications InternBookmark This
Baltimore Humane Society
1601 Nicodemus Road
Posted: May 17 2016
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Part-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe Baltimore Humane Society (BHS) is an independent, non-profit, no-kill shelter providing a temporary home and care for homeless and unwanted animals. Our 343 acres of wildlife sanctuary in Reisterstown, Maryland, provide a beautiful backdrop to the worthy work the BHS does to redress the suffering of the region's pets.
As BHS receives neither government nor national humane society funding, it is imperative that we sustain and amplify the efficacy and reach of our development office to support programs such as our low-cost spay/neuter/wellness center, our pet cemetery, reading & kids' clubs, and free pet grief support groups.
This is an ideal internship for applicants who are eager to gain knowledge about the non-profit, animal welfare, and environmental stewardship worlds at an organization with a respected reputation in the Greater Baltimore Area. Applicants who are interested in learning about all aspects of development--cultivation, events, grant-writing, research, solicitation, etc.--will thrive in this internship.
Responsibilities- Write, revise, and edit effective copy for direct mail.
- Assist with analysis of direct mail.
- Research, compile, and present research on existing and prospective donors.
- Collaborate with admin. to generate donor-specific cultivation plans and solicitation strategies.
- Assist admin. in planning fundraising events.
- Assist with data entry and maintenance of donor database (ex. data cleaning, updating contact info., entering new gifts).
- Assist with social media marketing of fundraising opportunities.
- Research and identify grant funding opportunities that intersect with BHS's mission and existing programming; gather information and pre-write for grant applications.
- Communicate with donors for a variety of purposes (ex. thanking, providing updates, small-dollar solicitation, etc.)
RequirementsThe ideal applicant:
- has undergraduate standing.
- possesses strong written and oral communication skills.
- makes research and data-driven decisions.
- enjoys collaboration.
- is comfortable and confident (or able to exude comfort/confidence while) talking to new people.
- is proficient with Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel.
- has some experience with database use.
- is honest, hard-working, flexible, and eager to learn by doing.