Agriculture Education InternBookmark This
Capital District Community Gardens
40 River Street
DescriptionAbout Capital District Community Gardens
For more than 35 years, Capital District Community Gardens (CDCG) has worked to reduce the impact poor nutrition has had on public health in the Capital Region by organizing urban community gardens, offering healthy food access, providing nutritional and horticultural education for all ages, and coordinating urban greening programs.
The Produce Project is a job training program which engages youth from Troy High School in the year-round production and sale of organic vegetables. With help from the program’s Farmer and Educator, students manage their crops from seed through sale, while earning a stipend and a food share to take home to their families.
• Assists Farmer and Educator in refining and applying an activity-based curriculum that uses sustainable agriculture as a tool to develop critical job and life skills, as well as tangible experience in science, math, leadership and communication
• Works with urban youth and acts as a role model in horticultural, culinary and life skills
• Assists in regular farm tasks
• Provides administrative support
• Unpaid, college credit may be available
• Weekly share of organic produce
Interns will have the opportunity to pursue related interests and special projects toward fulfillment of the program. Spring, summer and fall internships are available.
Please send resume and cover letter to Tolu Fashoro, Educator, at email@example.com
ResponsibilitiesFocused Projects may include:
• Game Project: Development and application of games to teach particular horticultural techniques, further youths’ understanding of the food system, nutrition, and ecology, and nurture life and communication skills necessary for success.
• Vermicomposting: Help create a vermicomposting system using farm and community waste.
• Has or wishes to acquire farming and/or teaching experience
• Enjoys the outdoors, and is enthusiastic about youth empowerment and food issues
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office & Excel
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with others