Fall 2014 Development InternBookmark This
Behind the Book
216 W 135th Street
New York, NY
DescriptionBehind the Book is a literacy non-profit that serves students in low-income NYC public schools. Working with classrooms from K-12, Behind the Book identifies books that speak to urban youth and partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units by bringing the authors of those books into the classroom.
Through a series of workshops, authors discuss their book and teach a genre of writing, encouraging students to see themselves as readers and writers and ultimately guiding them in the creation and publication of their own original writing. Learn more about Behind the Book on our website or our blog.
Behind the Book seeks a Development Intern currently pursuing a graduate degree in a related field (MPA, MSW, etc) with an interest in non-profit fundraising and a desire to work in the field upon graduation. Although this is an unpaid position, candidates can receive academic credit and preference for open positions at the organization. Because we expect to have a development position available in Sept. 2014, the ideal candidate will be interested in filling that position at the end of their internship.
The Development Intern will work closely with the Director of Development to manage all aspects of the organization's fundraising.
Commitment is for one semester, 2-3 days per week, hours are flexible.
ResponsibilitiesDevelopment Intern responsibilities will include:
• Conducting and compiling research relevant to our programming, such as best practices and innovations in literacy.
• Researching prospective funders
• Compiling and analyzing data from our evaluations, as necessary (no previous experience needed)
• Assisting with donor communication, including thank you notes
• Providing general and event planning support for the Board of Directors and Young Executive Board
• Input data into donor database (Salesforce)
• In addition to these responsibilities, interns may be assigned additional projects to work on independently according to their skills and interests.
If interested, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a brief (1-3 pages) writing sample to Amy Berg at info@BehindtheBook.org. "Development Internship" should appear in the subject heading of your email.
Behind the Book is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that especially welcomes applications from women and people of color.
Behind the Book
216 West 135th Street, Ground Floor
New York, NY 10030
RequirementsThe successful candidate will be detail-oriented, eager to learn, and able to manage tasks independently.
Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are required, as are strong computer skills in Microsoft Office.
Experience with research and writing research summaries a plus.
A background in nonprofit fundraising a plus. Candidates interested in fundraising and philanthropy are strongly encouraged to apply.