Fall 2014 Program InternBookmark This
Behind the Book
216 W 135th Street
New York, NY
DescriptionBehind the Book is a literacy non-profit that serves students in low-income NYC public schools. Working with classrooms from K-12, Behind the Book identifies books that speak to urban youth and partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units by bringing the authors of those books into the classroom.
Through a series of workshops, authors discuss their book and teach a genre of writing, encouraging students to see themselves as readers and writers and ultimately guiding them in the creation and publication of their own original writing. Learn more about Behind the Book on our website (behindthebook.org) or our blog (behindthebook.wordpress.com).
Behind the Book seeks a program intern to assist with the design, implementation and administration of our school programs. The Program Intern will work closely with the Chief Operations Officer and the Program Coordinators to support all aspects of our school programs. This is ideal for a student who is interested in education as a career path.
This is an unpaid position based in our Harlem office. Candidates can receive academic credit. Commitment is for one semester, 2-3 days per week, hours are flexible.
ResponsibilitiesThe intern will be essential in supporting a growing organization, and will gain valuable skills and experience in project management and nonprofit work. We are looking for an outgoing energetic student with a sense of humor. The successful candidate will be someone who is detail-oriented, eager to learn, and able to manage tasks independently. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required, as are strong computer skills in Microsoft Office. A background in education theory or previous teaching experience a plus. The ideal candidate will have experience with lesson planning and teaching.
Candidates with an interest in and knowledge of writers and poets of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
If interested, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a brief (1 page) writing sample to Jo Umans at info@BehindtheBook.org. Please indicate "Program Intern" in the subject heading of your email.
Behind the Book is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that especially welcomes applications from women and people of color.
Behind the Book
216 West 135th Street, Ground Floor
New York, NY 10030
RequirementsProgram Intern Responsibilities will include:
• Creating lesson plans, activities and worksheets for our school programs
• Revising existing classroom resources to fit needs of new class
• Cataloguing existing curricula, lessons and other resources in BtB’s Curricula Database
• Creating bulletin board materials for teachers
• Assisting as a volunteer in the classroom when needed.
• Supporting staff with program logistics and administration, including cataloging student work and keeping track of program documents such as evaluation forms, release forms etc.
• Assisting with student book publication as needed by scanning art work, drafting program descriptions, and other tasks as assigned by the Book Publishing Coordinator
• Conducting research on books and authors for our programs, and ordering review copies of books.
• Managing the Behind the Book library
• Planning and participating in community events and fundraisers
• Provide support to Executive Director and Board of Directors as necessary