Literacy TutorBookmark This
varies: we have sites in Dorchester, East Boston, Jamaica Plain and Allston
DescriptionTenacity is a rapidly growing youth development organization providing intensive athletic, academic, and life skills development programs Boston urban youth by combining tennis/fitness instruction and literacy support. Literacy tutors volunteer at one of our five Middle School programs (in Dorchester, East Boston, Allston, or Jamaica Plain) in student and classroom support, homework help, literacy activities and initiatives, behavior management, mentoring/tutoring, and relationship-building with kids. Volunteers also gain knowledge in the Boston Public School system and urban education.
You may receive internship credit for your service.
Responsibilities- help students with homework and other school-related work
- encourage students and role-model good behavior
- participate in literacy activities with students
- tutor and mentor students in academic sphere
- redirect students' misbehavior and support lead teachers in enforcing behavior management system
Requirements- can-do attitude
- some experience or at least a desire to work with youth
- passion for our mission
- determination and a persevering spirit
- communication skills
- patience and compassion