Education Public Programs InternshipBookmark This
800 Cherokee Ave SE
DescriptionThe goal of the Education Public Programs Internship is to provide a pre-professional, experiential learning opportunity for students interested in environmental conservation, informal education, and communication. Interns receive on-grounds training in interpretive techniques and relevant animal information. Upon completion of training, interns will be responsible for providing presentations focusing on conservation action and awareness to Zoo guests at a variety of locations and activities around Zoo grounds.
Please apply by sending cover letter and resume directly to Melissa King, Interpretive Programs Supervisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsibilities• Participate in training/mentoring to learn accurate exhibit information, including species and individual animal information, effective public presentation and interpretation techniques.
• Provide interpretive guest experiences at Exploration Station activity carts and exhibits throughout Zoo
• Safely handle interpretive tools, including animal artifacts/biofacts and activity sets.
• Provide excellent guest service to all Zoo guests.
• Creating and organizing content for our Zoo’s Clues and Animal Tales programs.
• Special projects as assigned.
Requirements• Education, Environmental Studies, Biology, Zoology, Animal Behavior, Conservation, Psychology, Theatre Arts or related major
• Availability to intern 2.5 days per week (two full days 9:30 – 5, one half day 9:30 – 1:30 or 1:00 – 5:00) at least 20 hours per week for 12 weeks. Saturdays are required.
• Demonstrated strong conservation and environmental knowledge in order to communicate appropriate conservation and wildlife messages to all guests
• Demonstrated ability to communicate information in an informal setting, such that it is personal and relevant to guests
• Proven oral communication skills, including both one-on-one delivery and formal microphone presentations
• Willingness to intern outdoors in all weather conditions
• Ability to work well in a team environment and independently