Design Engineer Internship OpportunityBookmark This
Art Research Collaboration
40 Lispenard St
New York, NY
DescriptionARC seeks a volunteer intern Design Engineer for a structural and media housing design for an ambitious art installation of large wooden columns, which will be geometrically configured in various patterns. This is an opportunity to work directly with the artist to ensure column’s stability, security and to enable mobility of art installation sculpture.
Our downtown Tribeca based studio is the laboratory for research, development and execution of an appropriate secure base for prototypes and for initial production. Further, the variety of exhibition sites’ floor plans requires adjustable base support to enable the art installation to travel and be configured differently from site to site.
This is a part time unpaid position for someone available 2 days a week to contribute individual expertise. This successful applicant will work under the supervision of the artist. Credit may be arranged with your school/university, if applicable.
• Assist in the overall structural engineering of an art work whose main elements are of large wooden columns.
• Research, design and development related to the structural support & mobility of individual columns.
• Research, design and development of media housing: enclosures for electronics.
• Structural evaluation, analysis to enable design of the installation.
• Prepare cost estimates.
• Assist in developing a proposal for site specific applications of future installations.
• Render media housing structural elements in AutoCAD or Rhino.
• Prototyping and testing of structural support.
• 3D printer will be used for prototyping for media housing.
• Accurate documentation is critical.
• Advance research, study and the development of possible new materials, structural systems and procedures for optimizing design.
• Strong interest in working in an ethical art studio environment.
• Applicant should pursue or be near to completion of either undergraduate or graduate degree in civil engineering.
• Applicant should have strong sense of commitment to excellence, independent thinking, innovation, professional understanding and effective communication skills.
• An ability to integrate knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering.
• An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
• An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, safety, manufacturability and sustainability.
• Knowledge of AutoCAD or Rhino
• An ability to work with our multidisciplinary teams.
• An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
• An ability to use techniques, skills and necessary modern engineering tools.