Engineering - InternBookmark This
J.R. Simplot Company
9401 N Highway 191
DescriptionThe Following NEW internship opportunity is NOW Available!!
Intern – Engineering, Vernal, Utah (AgriBusiness)
The J.R. Simplot Company is a diverse, privately held organization with roots firmly planted in agriculture and agriculture-related businesses. These endeavors have been around for centuries and will continue to be a vital part of the global economy.
Our Vernal, Utah, Simplot Phosphates Mine currently has an Engineering Intern –Metallurgical Engineer position available.
Simplot Phosphates, LLC produces high-quality phosphate fertilizer. At the Vernal mine, phosphate ore is mined, crushed, washed, finely ground and concentrated through flotation. The ore is then thickened to form a dense slurry and shipped 96 miles through a pressurized pipeline to the manufacturing plant south of Rock Springs, Wyoming.
Simplot Phosphates is part of the AgriBusiness Group, which is a part of the J.R. Simplot Company. The Agribusiness Group is focused on meeting the needs of its customers through the environmentally conscious extraction of natural resources, the manufacturing of fertilizers and the distribution of the highest-quality agricultural products. Along with the rest of the J.R. Simplot Company, the employees of the AgriBusiness Group recognize and embrace the responsibilities that fall to a company dedicated to Bringing Earth’s Resources to Life.
Vernal, Utah is an attractive small town with around 8,000 residents. Located along Hwys 191/40, it is the economic hub in the northeast corner of Utah offering ample retail shopping conveniences. Vernal serves mainly as a base for exploring Dinosaur National Monument, Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, and the Uintah Mountains in Ashley National Forest. Vernal offers many recreational opportunities such as fishing, river running, hiking, biking, and camping in alpine meadows and red-rock canyons.
What's in it for you?
This internship opportunity is designed to provide a realistic job preview and lay the solid foundation necessary for future employment as a Simplot Engineer. This is your chance to learn firsthand about metallurgy and mineral processing issues that impact the environment, community and economy.
• Work with lab and concentrator personnel to improve process performance and reliability.
• Analytical equipment troubleshooting and commissioning with several common mineral analyzers.
• Project participation and oversight, independently and as a team member.
• Energy efficiency study, reagent testing, daily assay samples.
• Projects may include optimizing of x-ray fluorescent analyzer or optimization of floatation circuit, with a final presentation given to management.
• Minimum GPA of 3.0 preferred
• Currently enrolled in an accredited university within the Engineering Department (Metallurgical or Chemical preferred) and completed at least junior year
• Metallurgical laboratory experience in flotation bench scale testing desired
• MS Excel computer experience and/or other plant auditing software desired
• Experience in using atomic absorption spectroscopy x-ray fluorescence or ion coupled plasma preferred.
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills needed along with ability to work independently
• Have the ability to lift and carry 50 pounds, climb stairs and walk short distances
• Possibility of working weekends and / or overtime
From semester end through August or September, 2014
Please prepare a cover letter and resume that outlines your interest and qualifications and submit through our online application process. This process includes additional job relevant questions, so please plan on at least 15 minutes when you apply. We greatly appreciate your interest! EOE
• Click Apply Now if viewing this posting from the Simplot website OR
• Visit www.simplot.com/careers
• Select Job Search
• Select Current Opportunities
• Select All open positions
• Apply to Job ID #1132