Mine or Civil Engineer - InternBookmark This
J.R. Simplot Company
9401 N Highway 191
DescriptionThe Following NEW internship opportunity is NOW Available!!
Intern – Mine or Civil Engineer, Vernal, Utah (AgriBusiness)
The J.R. Simplot Company is a diverse, privately held organization with roots firmly planted in agriculture and agriculture-related businesses. These endeavors have been around for centuries and will continue to be a vital part of the global economy. Our Vernal, Utah, Simplot Phosphates Mine currently has an Engineering Intern – Mining or Civil position available.
Simplot Phosphates, LLC produces high-quality phosphate fertilizer. At the Vernal mine, phosphate ore is mined, crushed, washed, finely ground and concentrated through flotation. The ore is then thickened to form a dense slurry and shipped 96 miles through a pressurized pipeline to the manufacturing plant south of Rock Springs, Wyoming.
Simplot Phosphates is part of the AgriBusiness Group, which is a part of the J.R. Simplot Company. The Agribusiness Group is focused on meeting the needs of its customers through the environmentally conscious extraction of natural resources, the manufacturing of fertilizers and the distribution of the highest-quality agricultural products. Along with the rest of the J.R. Simplot Company, the employees of the AgriBusiness Group recognize and embrace the responsibilities that fall to a company dedicated to Bringing Earth’s Resources to Life.
Vernal, Utah is an attractive small town with around 8,000 residents. Located along Hwy’s 191/40, it is the economic hub in the northeast corner of Utah offering ample retail shopping conveniences. Vernal serves mainly as a base for exploring Dinosaur National Monument, Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, and the Uintah Mountains in Ashley National Forest. Vernal offers many recreational opportunities such as fishing, river running, hiking, biking, and camping in alpine meadows and red-rock canyons.
What's in it for you?
This internship opportunity is designed to provide a realistic job preview and lay the solid foundation necessary for future employment as a Mine Engineer. This is your chance to apply your knowledge and gain experience performing the duties required in the daily operation of an open cut mine. Become part of the engineering team and gain valuable experience in cutting edge blast design, drill pattern design and layout and gain hands on experience working with GPS guided blast hole drills, dozers and shovel. You will have the opportunity to work with the latest technology in mine wide WIFI mesh system, GPS survey equipment, and related software. This position will provide the selected candidate hands on experience conducting mine performance studies, producing monthly production reports, and ore reserve evaluations.
• Have a thorough grasp of the fundamentals of surveying, preferably using GPS equipment.
• Experienced in the use of AutoCad, SurvCad, Vulcan, Carlson, or any other AutoCad based surveying / mine planning software
• Working knowledge of MS Office products
• Minimum GPA of 3.0 (preferred)
• Currently enrolled in an accredited university within the Mining or Civil Engineering Department and completed at least sophomore year
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills needed along with ability to work independently
• Have the ability to lift and carry 50 pounds and hike over rough terrain, working in adverse weather conditions
• Possibility of working weekends and / or overtime
• From semester end through August or September, 2014
Please prepare a cover letter and resume that outlines your interest and qualifications and submit through our online application process. This process includes additional job relevant questions, so please plan on at least 15 minutes when you apply. We greatly appreciate your interest!
• Click Apply Now if viewing this posting from the Simplot website OR
• Visit www.simplot.com/careers
• Select Job Search
• Select Current Opportunities
• Select All open positions
• Apply to Job ID #1129