Student Intern (Undergrad Yr Rnd) - Safety Engineering Ergonomics SupportBookmark This
Sandia National Laboratories
P.O. Box 5800
DescriptionSandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation with major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California. We are a world-class team of scientists, engineers, technologists, post docs, and visiting researchers all focused on cutting-edge technology, ranging from homeland defense, global security, biotechnology, and environmental preservation to energy and combustion research, computer security, and nuclear defense. To learn more, please visit our website at www.sandia.gov.
Sandia National Laboratories is searching for a Student Intern for the Corporate Safety Engineering Department located in our Albuquerque, NM facility. This position is a temporary, part-time opportunity. The student intern selected in this position will be required to obtain and maintain a DOE-granted “L-level” security clearance. Security clearance is not required to start.
The Corporate Safety Engineering (SE) Department is responsible for developing Safety Policies and the supporting infrastructure to implement Integrated Safety Management, DOE orders and OSHA regulations for SE Programs. In addition to leading SE programs in the areas of explosive, electrical and pressure safety, specific department activities include injury prevention, safety campaigns, and the Explosive Information System (EIS), records and reporting administration, and supporting Division ES&H Customer Support Teams with the workplace and personal monitoring. The Department provides a cadre of Safety professionals who are a part of the Division ES&H Customer Support Teams.
The Student Intern will perform entry-level work within a science and engineering environment involving assignments that may include assisting with research, application of project design and diagnostics, testing and documentation, development and analysis of technology options, and assembly and troubleshooting.
Primary Job Duties
Job assignments vary upon organization, discipline preference, and specific job requirements as defined in the job specification.
Duties may include assisting technical staff with developmental research, analysis of technology and engineering options, project design, testing, formulating conclusions, data collection, and analyzing experimental data.
Students are needed by Safety Engineering's Ergonomics team. The position involves performing office ergonomic worksite evaluations, recommending changes to worksites, and making a real difference in people's lives. Students will visit worksites, perform ergonomic screenings, perform any necessary follow-ups, and maintain a database of people who have been visited. Students may also be involved in researching and evaluating new products, drafting pages to be posted on the Sandia ergonomics website, and ordering and repairing ergonomic chairs and equipment. Independent, hard-working,
• The successful candidate must meet the following Sandia Student Intern Requirements:
1. Official acceptance into an accredited university's undergraduate program
2. Full-time enrollment (12 credit hours)
3. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2/4.0
4. The ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
5. U.S. citizenship
• Full-time enrollment in a science, exercise science, health related, or engineering program.
• Demonstrated proficiency in customer service and teamwork.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills and the ability to work effectively with others.
• Excellent oral/presentation skills.
• Proven self-starter who can work in a fast-paced, critical deadline, cooperative teaming atmosphere.
• Ability to assess situations and identify pragmatic, cost effective solutions.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Willingness to learn and apply ergonomic principles
• Knowledge of Human Factors
• Experience providing instruction
• Experience providing ergonomics or safety assessments
• Ergonomics certification and/or training
• Demonstrated ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
To learn more about this position and to apply online, please visit our Careers page at http://www.sandia.gov/careers/search-openings.html and reference Job Opening ID Number: 644272.
U.S. Citizenship Normally Required. Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.