Citizens Climate Lobby Environmental Intern Farmville VABookmark This
Citizens Climate Lobby
Farmville CCL Chapter Office
DescriptionJOB PURPOSE: Citizens Climate Lobby’s (www.citizensclimatelobby.org) mission is to create the political will for a sustainable climate. Our methods include education on the science, economics, politics and public awareness surrounding climate change. CCL works by training citizens in the skills needed to affect change. We contact and meet with Congressional leaders, write letters to the editors of national and local newspapers and attend monthly national conference calls.
The position purpose is to support the work of CCL in Virginia. Additionally, this position involves editing and updating advocacy materials, communicating with CCL volunteers, training new CCL volunteers, and researching topics including climate related news and legislation, science, economics, and community groups. Research national college, business and community organizations to build membership. Miscellaneous office duties such as data entry, phone calls and email communications.
This is an unpaid full semester internship opportunity.
We strongly suggest you register to join an introductory call before applying. The call will introduce our organization, what we do, and why your contribution matters! Keep in mind the call is not geared towards interns, but will give potential interns a better idea of what their duties and goals would be.
The introductory call is scheduled for every Wednesday night at 5:00 PM Pacific, 8:00 PM Eastern.
To register go to: http://citizensclimatelobby.org/register-with-ccl/
***Apply only if you have the ability to volunteer on site at the location listed in the title of this description***
• Learn CCL and RESULTS advocacy methodologies
• Participate in scheduled conference calls
• Learn how to plan meetings with members of congress
• Research work on energy statistics, congressional records, etc.
• Research leads for new groups via community clubs, events and businesses
• Assist with outreach event planning such as green conferences, Rotary presentations, etc.
• Assist with outreach follow up for prospective volunteer interest.
• Edit and improve existing advocacy materials
• Correspond with new volunteers to monitor progress and provide training support
• Assist with a letter writing event (“Million Letter March”)
• Weekly commitment 6-10 hours a week for 6 months over the winter/spring starting January 15. Fall start date also possible.
POSITION REPORTS TO: Virginia Chapter Leader – Farmville VA Office
• No remote internships available
• Computer with Microsoft WORD, Internet, email and Skype functions
• Passion for environmental advocacy
• Interest in government, political science, and fundraising
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Excellent communication skills with attention to details and timeliness
• Writing, proof reading and Internet research skills