Autism Speaks Chicago Chapter Events and Outreach InternBookmark This
Autism Speaks, Chicagoland Chapter
2700 S. River Road, Suite 304
Des Plaines, IL
DescriptionDate: Sept. –Dec 2013/Jan –May 2014, May-August 2014, August –December 2014
Position Title: Chapter Events and Outreach Intern
Reports To: Senior Director, Field Development
Location: Autism Speaks, Chicagoland Chapter, 2700 S. River Road, Suite 304, Des Plaines, IL
Hours/Days Per Week: Monday through Friday (minimum 2 days week) *We accept students needing college credit
Length of Assignment: Fall/Spring/Summer 2013-2014
Purpose: The purpose of this position is to assist the Autism Speaks staff in planning and implementing various events and outreach for Autism Speaks Chicagoland Chapter, in addition to other chapter fundraising and awareness events.
• Provide administrative support to the Autism Speaks staff as needed (answer telephones, data entry, email correspondence, mailings, materials management, packet assembly, etc.)
• In conjunction with the Autism Speaks staff, provide customer service for all event participants, volunteers, committee members and chairpersons, including donation questions, shipment of materials, etc.
• Create Event Materials (flyers, posters, e-mail correspondence, letters, etc.) as needed.
• Work closely with Autism Speaks staff and volunteer committee to achieve the event goals through practicing the strategies identified in the business plan for the event, ,which could include strategies regarding sponsorship, team recruitment and retention, media outreach, kickoff s and a year-long communications plan.
• Work on community outreach projects such as Community Ambassadors and AS2YP, our young professionals group.
• Work with other inters to plan and execute fundraising event or other supplementary project
• Some projects may include nights and weekends.
Future Possible Roles
• In conjunction with Autism Speaks staff, implement the global campaigns of Autism Speaks such as Government Relations, Family Services, Community Outreach and Science Initiatives.
• Make presentations about Autism Speaks and to businesses, organizations and community groups educate them about autism awareness and the services we provide.
RequirementsRelated Skills and Knowledge
• Superb organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
• Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Outgoing and friendly personality, along with creativity and enthusiasm.
• Ability to work independently and with volunteers, staff, donors, media and the general public.
• Computer proficiency, particularly in Microsoft Word and Excel.