Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Special Events InternBookmark This
American Cancer Society
6165 S. Rainbow Blvd
Las Vegas, NV
At the American Cancer Society, our success is based on highly talented staff members who are creative, empowered and committed to our mission. That’s why more than 100,000 volunteers in Arizona walk alongside us to do research, promote cancer awareness and prevention, advocate for cancer-fighting laws, provide services for cancer patients and their families, and organize community-based events. It’s special work for special people. We’ve created a workplace with a clear vision, a noble mission and values that make sense so we can partner with others who are passionate about fighting cancer.
The American Cancer Society, Great West Division, has an exciting internship opportunity available in our Income Development department. The Special Events Intern will primarily help plan and execute Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, a fundraiser involving over 8,500 volunteers and raising over $311,000.
Responsibilities1. Pre-event planning and organization
2. Recruiting and working with volunteers
3. Assisting with event logistics
4. Assisting with keeping Temporary Staff on task assignments
5. Database maintenance
6. Supply procurement
7. Materials distribution
8. Securing in-kind donations
9. Other duties as assigned
Help to plan weekly staff/recruiter meetings; contact local service organizations; coordinate and recruit volunteers; develop and distribute press releases for distribution; occasional cold calling and team development of local companies
RequirementsWe are looking for an organized, phone savvy intern who must:
1. demonstrate a relationship between their projected major field of study and the work of the American Cancer Society
2. be full-time college student in good academic standing, completing their sophomore, junior, or senior year
3. have the ability to work as part of a team
4. have excellent telephone communication/customer service skills
5. have excellent computer skills – Microsoft Office required
6. have initiative and ability to work independently
Dates/Hours of position:
Spring and Summer (there can be flexibility on these dates)
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Kick Off Breakfast – August 2014
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event – October 26, 2014
Ideally the candidate would be available 10-30 hours a week Monday - Friday.
Physical Demands, including environment:
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, balance, stoop or kneel.
• Some of the work of this position may be performed outdoors in varying climate conditions.
• May be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds