Pike Place Market Special Event InternBookmark This
Pike Place Market Foundation
85 Pike St. #500
The Pike Place Market Foundation works to preserve the traditions and diversity of the Pike Place Market neighborhood by raising funds to support services located in the Pike Place Market historical district that benefit downtown Seattle’s low-income and senior residents. These include the Pike Market Medical Clinic, Senior Center, Preschool, and Food Bank. The Market Foundation hosts events to raise funds and awareness for these efforts. For more information: www.pikeplacemarketfoundation.org.
The Market Foundation’s summer intern assists with the planning and production of one of our largest events of the year, Sunset Supper at the Market, to be held on August 15, 2014. Sunset Supper features food & beverages served by over 70 top Seattle restaurants, wineries, breweries and beverage companies. The event takes place on historic Pike Place overlooking Elliott Bay and attracts more than 1,000 guests. Entertainment includes live music and dancing, raffles and a great party atmosphere.
This unpaid internship offers a unique opportunity for an individual with interests in event planning, non-profit fundraising, donor databases, volunteer coordination, and project management to gain hands-on experience of a large, complex charitable event.
ResponsibilitiesDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
1. Client relations/customer service: assist in recording reservations, sending out tickets, communicating with guests about reservations; serve as secondary point of contact for event vendor relations.
2. Raffle procurement & organization: manage procurement of donations of Sunset Supper raffle items.
3. Volunteer management: recruit and communicate with volunteers prior to the event; serve as primary point of contact for event volunteer team (about 200 volunteers)
4. Data entry: record information about guests, participants and volunteers in donor database.
5. Event logistics: assist in coordinating various site-related logistics.
6. Attend event-related meetings and trainings.
HOW TO APPLY
Email your resume and a cover letter describing your interest in the Pike Place Market, the work of the Market Foundation and your relevant experience to: Suzanne Spencer, Communications & Development Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in the Pike Place Market Foundation!
RequirementsDESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND QUALITIES
1. Excellent administrative, oral and written communications, proofreading skills.
2. Comfortable interacting with the public on the phone.
3. Ability to be proactive and work independently.
4. Maintain the highest attention to detail.
5. Professional and courteous demeanor at all times with public, donors and co-workers.
6. Basic computer processing skills including MS Office required.
7. Preference given to applicants who have nonprofit volunteer experience.
8. Sunset Supper is a 21 & over event; as the intern is required to work at the event, s/he must be over 21 years of age as of 8/15/14.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position requires good vision and hearing for computer and telephone work. The ability to lift a minimum of 25 pounds is helpful. A reasonable level of physical fitness is desirable; some physical labor is required for event and intern will make deliveries to downtown restaurants, often on foot.