David Murdico (@DavidMurdico) is the Executive Creative Director and Managing Partner at Supercool Creative, a digital creative agency specializing in big ideas, social media marketing, interactive and online video production for brands like Capcom, Dish, T-Mobile, Pizza Hut and IBM. You can find more information on Twitter and Blog.
1. How did you get started in the industry? How can someone who is interested in your work get started?
I took an unusual path starting with an English degree from USC, going into film and TV, then online video, then starting Supercool Creative. I would say the best way to get started is to read as much as you can about online marketing, use social networking channels on your own, experiment with all things digital, video and do an internship to get a feel for what you like and where you want to be.
2. What’s the future of your industry or job?
The future of social media and digital marketing will be an increased focus on results, bottom lines, rather than a count of Twitter followers, likes and video views. People and agencies that can show results will thrive.
3. What do you look for when you hire an intern or entry-level candidate?
Enthusiasm. Someone who loves the online space and is cool to work with.
4. What is one thing an intern can do to make a favorable impression?
Just be yourself, and if yourself is lively and enthusiastic that helps.
5. Can you share a positive intern story and an intern horror story? No names needed…
Positive: We had an intern come in on the first day and knock out a design for a last-minute YouTube brand channel design for a Fortune 50 company.
Negative: We had an intern quit after his first day.
Interested in Social Media Marketing internships? There are thousands of internships available here!