Apparel Design- Intern for Menswear companyBookmark This
New Standard Edition
Union Square area
New York, NY
Posted: August 03 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionIntern for a start-up men's denim & pants lifestyle brand! This position within a startup company offers the opportunity to work closely with the owner who has 20+ years retail experience in the street wear/apparel industry. Learn the ins and outs of the fashion industry and how to start your own brand! Opportunity to assist on photo shoots, social media, showroom appointments and trade shows.
Located in New York, NY
Responsibilities60% of the time:
• Building tech packs and line sheets using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
• Email designs directly to vendor in Hong Kong, communicate directly with the factory, making design revisions as needed for samples
40% of the time:
• Research menswear fashion trends (online and around local stores)
• Brainstorm seasonal concepts with the owner and Sr. Graphic Designer
• Assist in organizing samples and fabric swatches
• Assist in styling and other duties for photo shoots
• Fashion majors are preferred but will give strong consideration to others who demonstrate an interest through relevant current projects.
• Must be proficient using illustrator CS5 or higher and have heavy course work or professional experience in fashion design related responsibilities.
• Must have your own computer with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat CS5 or higher
• Interest in mens fashion and desire to learn more about starting a clothing line
• You will work in our office in Union Square, sometimes being able to work from home.
What you’ll get out of it:
Learn processes of running a start-up clothing business-
Merchandising: Strategy and thought process for developing a clothing line
Design: Steps for designing a line
Development: Process of taking a design concept to final sample
Production: How to communicate with factories to get product developed
Sales: Complete process for selling a product line. Experience working from a showroom and tradeshows.
Marketing: How to market new products and analyze the business.
Mentor/References/Exposure: Learn from the owner and his years of experience. Get Linkedin endorsements and references from relevant contacts. Meet industry contacts and attend tradeshows.
SkillsRequired - Adobe Illustrator CS5
Preferred - InDesign, Photoshop CS6