Government Relations InternBookmark This
United States Commission on International Religious Freedom
732 North Capitol Street, NW
DescriptionThe United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) is an independent, bipartisan, U.S. federal government advisory commission – the first of its kind in the world – that monitors the universal right to freedom of religion or belief abroad. USCIRF reviews the facts and circumstances of religious freedom violations and makes policy recommendations to the President, Secretary of State, and Congress. USCIRF Commissioners are appointed by the President and Congressional leadership of both political parties.
(1) Cover letter explaining your qualifications and why you would you like to intern at USCIRF
(3) Writing sample (3-5 pages)
(4) Letters of reference (at least 2)
E-mail, fax, or mail your application materials to:
USCIRF Internship Program
732 North Capitol Street, NW, Suite A714
Washington, DC 20401
Please specify the internship and semester you are applying for in your cover letter and the subject line of an e-mailed application.
Responsibilities- Track foreign policy statements, religious freedom, human rights and related legislation, and relevant policy publications
- Attend and report on Congressional hearings
- Review relevant government agency websites and publications daily
- Research positions and actions taken by Members of Congress and Congressional committees and organizations
- Undertake other research as needed
- Provide general administrative support as needed
RequirementsEligible candidates should be:
- U.S. citizens (or otherwise authorized to intern with the U.S. government);
- currently enrolled undergraduates or graduate students (including JD and LLM candidates); and
- able to successfully complete a background check.
Eligible candidates should have:
- a minimum 2.5 GPA;
- excellent writing and comprehension skills;
- a passion for foreign policy and human rights;
- ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and as part of a team;
- a willingness to perform administrative tasks; and
- familiarity with the full Microsoft Office suite (Excel and Word in particular).