Intern - Government and Legislative AffairsFarm Credit Mid-America
Mitigation Planning Unit InternFlorida Division of Emergency Management
Natural Hazards Unit InternFlorida Division of Emergency Management
Connecticut Siting Council InternshipConnecticut Siting Council
January Internship with Progressive New York City Council Member Ben KallosCouncil Member Ben Kallos
NATIONAL SECURITY NUCLEAR / SATELLITE / INFRASTRUCTURE CYBER ANALYSTNational Security Consulting & Investigations PLLC
NATIONAL SECURITY CYBER COUNTER-TERRORISM INTELLIGENCE ANALYST INTERN : GRADUATES/UNDERGRADUATESNational Security Consulting & Investigations PLLC
NATIONAL SECURITY CYBER COUNTER-TERRORISM ESPIONAGE ANALYST INTERN : VETERAN/LEO SET ASIDE ONLYNational Security Consulting & Investigations PLLC
Emergency Management Mitigation Internship: Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA Region II-DHS)Bookmark This
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
26 Federal Plaza, 13th Floor
New York, NY
Posted: January 29 2015
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionFEMA manages the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and a range of programs designed to reduce future losses to homes, businesses, schools, public buildings and critical facilities from floods, earthquakes, tornadoes and other natural disasters.
Mitigation focuses on breaking the cycle of disaster damage, reconstruction, and repeated damage. Mitigation efforts provide value to the American people by creating safer communities and reducing loss of life and property. Mitigation includes such activities as:
• Complying with or exceeding NFIP floodplain management regulations.
• Enforcing stringent building codes, flood-proofing requirements, seismic design standards and wind-bracing requirements for new construction or repairing existing buildings.
• Adopting zoning ordinances that steer development away from areas subject to flooding, storm surge or coastal erosion.
• Retrofitting public buildings to withstand hurricane-strength winds or ground shaking.
• Acquiring damaged homes or businesses in flood-prone areas, relocating the structures, and returning the property to open space, wetlands or recreational uses.
• Building community shelters and tornado safe rooms to help protect people in their homes, public buildings and schools in hurricane- and tornado-prone areas.
The Intern will support Mitigation Managers to coordinate and manage Mitigation Projects for Federal, State level (New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands) and tribal, local governments within Region II states. The intern will assist the Mitigation Specialists organize, manage and facilitate training and exercise events, write policy papers, evaluate programs, develop plans, conduct outreach, instruct classes and attend meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to communicate in writing.
• Ability to analyze current or projected operating programs.
• Ability to communicate effectively other than in writing.
• Knowledge of continuity principles, practices, techniques, and procedures..
• Ability to plan and execute work.