Community Health EducatorBookmark This
National MS Society Southern California & Nevada Chapter
1200 N. State St.
Los Angeles, CA
DescriptionThis position will be based out of the National MS Society office that will open in the Fall at The Wellness Center at the Historic General Hospital, but travel to the West LA office may be required for training.
Interns will acquire experience in health education, community development and health promotion, program planning, budget management, group presentations, and advocacy. While our focus is clients with multiple sclerosis (MS), interns will learn about wellness topics and skills applicable to any setting. This internship aims to:
1. Prepare the intern for entry-level health education employment
2. Provide practical work experience for those who plan to pursue a health education career
3. Prepare the intern to practice health education in a time of rapid medical, social, and economic change
Minimum of 15 hours per week and 6 month commitment required. Weekend and evening hours available to those who are seeking this type of schedule.
Please visit our website to learn more about MS: www.nationalmssociety.org/cal
Responsibilities• Provide information and referrals to clients
• Provide administrative support such as reminder phone calls to those that have registered for a program, help with photocopying handouts, and site coordination and logistics
• Conduct community outreach to increase awareness of multiple sclerosis (MS) by attending health fairs and giving presentations in the community
• Assist with the development and delivery of wellness presentations for people living with MS at support groups and day programs
• Organize and assist those living with MS to become involved in advocacy
• Identify possible agencies for collaboration through community work
• Data collection and entry
Requirements• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
• Basic knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Comfortable working with the disabled community
• Must have reliable transportation
• Be able to pass a background check/ clean driving record