Human Resources Internship (Fall Semester)Bookmark This
1420 Columbia Road NW
DescriptionPrimary Purpose of the Job:
The Human Resource Intern will provide a full compliment of confidential, professional coordination of Human Resource services. The Human Resources Intern is responsible for all day to day Human Resources functions to ensure the overall integrity and efficiency of the organization in accordance with federal law, stat law, local law, CentroNia’s mission and CentroNia’s core values.
The Human Resources Intern must be able to maintain the trust and confidence of all staff, consultants and interns who work for and or with CentroNía by respecting the privacy and confidentiality of all staff, consultants and interns while balancing the interest of the organization.
Provides clerical support to the Human Resources department. Maintains files and records, processes employment applications, gathers and distributes employee information. Updates personnel records and assists employees with forms and procedures. Usually requires clerical experience and knowledge of internal human resource polices and procedures.
Support in Recruiting functions
• Executes Human Resources support activities in the all areas of full life cycle recruitment.
• Executes Human Resources support activities in the recruitment process such as but not limited to pre-employment background and reference checks.
• Executes Human Resources support activities in all preparation for orientation sessions.
Human Resources Information System Management
• Manipulate computer programs to process human resources information, such as recruiting and benefit HRIS, and handle other human resources matters.
• Executes Human Resources support activities in processing personnel information for new hires, terminations and general changes to employee personal information.
• Executes Human Resources support activities in establishing and maintaining personnel files on new, current and terminated employees which include: ensuring completion of appropriate personnel actions and new hire paperwork, current licensing information, criminal background checks.
• Executes Human Resources support activities in creating reports for Audits, Events, and Benefits.
• Assist in a wide array of initiatives to enhance the wellness programs covering occupational safety and health standards and practices; health promotion and physical fitness, medical examinations, and minor health treatment, such as food service and recreation activities
ResponsibilitiesRequired Core Competencies:
1. Propensity for problem solving.
2. Highly driven with a hands-on approach to getting work done
3. Good planning, time management, communication, decision making, presentation, organization, and interpersonal skills
4. Interest in a long term HR career path
5. Demonstrate self-motivation, continual learning, and initiative.
6. Practice professional and effective interpersonal communication skills.
7. Proven ability to build relationships with, and influence all levels within an organization.
8. Must be able to work independently as well as develop rapport, trust, and open communication in the work environment.
9. Must possess good judgment and decision-making.
10. Must exhibit excellent written and verbal communication skills and be extremely adaptable to an ever changing environment.
1. Commitment to growth through attendance to professional development activities.
2. Demonstrate flexibility in regards to schedules, sharing of tasks, and changes in the routines or plans.
3. Ability to contribute new ideas and diverse methods of problem solving to the group.
4. Dependability, patience, and honesty.
5. Positive attitude towards the work.
6. Respectful of diversity and open minded.
7. Helpful to others and able to work cooperatively.
Must have two years or more years of experience in Human Resource Discipline Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
Presently perusing Baccalaureate degree in Human Resources or Business and related fields
Office located within a community-based organization with a safe, stable and healthy environment. CentroNía has a very diverse staff, and Spanish/English bilingualism is essential to conduct business and serve clients.
Please submit your application, resume and cover letter; indicating the position
you are applying to:
Human Resources Department at CentroNía at:
1420 Columbia Road, NW, DC 20009
Fax (202) 745-0154
“Educating children and youth, and strengthening families, in a bilingual, multicultural community.”
CentroNía is an equal opportunity employer
• To perform duties assigned in the most efficient manner to ensure that the HR department runs effectively, efficiently and with a high level of customer service
• Familiarity with:
- HR policies
- Processes and deadlines for recruiting, compensation and performance management
• Other projects as assigned
1. Conduct HR file audit to ensure updated and completed personnel files.
2. Inform employees of new compliances and important information