Database InternBookmark This
Simon Wiesenthal Center/Museum of Tolerance New York
226 E. 42nd st.
New York, NY
DescriptionThe Museum of Tolerance New York (MOTNY) is the educational arm of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, an internationally acclaimed Human Rights organization dedicated to preserving the memory of the Holocaust and fostering tolerance and understanding through community involvement, educational outreach and social action.
The Museum of Tolerance challenges visitors to explore the meaning of tolerance and the consequences of intolerance by focusing on the history of the Holocaust and the dynamics of discrimination in our world today. Through unique technologies and interactive exhibits, the Museum of Tolerance engages visitors in a journey of self-discovery, to confront their own prejudices and to assume responsibility for the choices they make.
The MOTNY seeks a Database Intern to develop a database system that serves the Museum’s daily operations. MOTNY has a goal of utilizing the data held in the many excel spreadsheets by converting the data to a web based database (i.e. salesforce.com) and entering in new data in a way that aligns with our database policies and procedures.
This internship will provide experience in determining requirements, package customization, web-based database application development, and user training. This internship is unpaid and offers an ideal opportunity to acquire substantive professional and organizational experience in all areas of database management and will work closely with the staff of the Museum. MOTNY offers a stimulating, supportive work environment.
Responsibilities• Lead the transfer of our contact data from one database (excel spreadsheets) to CRM web based system
• Create system to clean current data
• Become an expert user of the new database
• Work with the staff to develop fields and coding for contact information records in new database
• Develop mapping of excel spreadsheets to new database
• Maintain database integrity (duplicate checking, style guide consistency)
• Assist with staff training on new database
• Create and document data entry guidelines for the office
• Assist with the creation of a manual for staff to reference
• Research industry standards and business practices for maintaining a database
Requirements• Must have database system experience, specifically with CRM database.
• Must have experience with database application development/customizing
• Must have strong excel skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Strong documentation skills
• Superior organization and communication skills
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Strong attention to detail and must be creative
• Bachelor degree in Information Systems or related field preferred
• Interest and/or experience with non-profit organizations a plus
• This position requires a minimum of 10/hrs of work a week