Editorial / Journalism InternBookmark This
DescriptionWe are Pop.Earth (Population Earth; We Are One) a NYS registered 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit dedicated to helping individuals with disabilities and their families. Our first project is The Om Holistic Center for Autism & Developmental Disorders. The center is the first of its kind in the US to feature yoga, reiki, massage therapy, parental counseling, nutrition workshops and our music and art therapy program, FREE TO BE ME! at very low cost to free. We plan to be located in Nassau County on Long Island. This location will serve as a template to roll out similar centers across the United States.
Autism numbers have risen from 1in 88 to 1 in 50 children. The need for these types of therapies are increasing while the budget of many families are decreasing. We need to help these children and young adults now!
We are looking for a creative individual to assist our Executive Director in grant writing, preparing press releases, making fundraiser flyers and all around creating interest in our center. We do not have physical offices to report to. The ideal candidate will be able to work from home with periodical meetings (can be over the phone, skype, emails, etc) for updates with the director. You must be self directed and creative. This is a ground floor opportunity to be a part of a new wave of thinking. We are young and we are growing! This position can lead to a permanent place on our team.
Please send us your qualifications along with a personal note as to why this specific area (autism, not-for-profit, helping others) appeals to you. Good luck!
Responsibilities- Assist with editorial projects and provide support to the Communications Editor.
- Proofreading both hard and electronic files, basic copyediting, and writing of proposals and reports;
- Assisting with or proofing of basic ads, flyers, brochures, invitations, etc.
- Work on special projects, as needed
Requirements- Working towards a degree in journalism, public relations, English, business communications, or communication arts.
- Strong organizational and communication skills with keen attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of MS Office applications, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience/interest in Web maintenance
- Familiarity with grants is a plus