Journalist/Blogger InternBookmark This
The Yeas and Nays
DescriptionThe Yeas and Nays offer interns an opportunity to gain reporting, research, and outreach skills while developing a broader understanding of advocacy and public engagement. Individuals with a background or interest in journalism, law, and public policy, are especially encouraged to apply, as are those interested in utilizing online media to advance public engagement.
We are currently seeking interns to work a flexible part-time schedule immediately.
ResponsibilitiesThe intern will create original content for The Yeas and Nays, and will assist in building the reach and readership of the site. The intern will have the opportunity to:
• Write blog posts
• Report and draft original news stories
• Do background research for articles
• Research and draft fact sheets
• Research and update resources
• Perform outreach to professional and activist groups to inform them about our work and explore possible partnerships
Most of the work will be performed independently and remotely, keeping in close touch with site editors by email and phone. The internship may involve some local travel to conduct interviews or attend community meetings.
The minimum time commitment is 7 hours/week during the school year; more is preferred.
This is an unpaid internship, but transportation costs and any other duty related expenses will be covered.
We are happy to fulfill the supervision requirements of any college internship program.
Requirements• Ability to work independently
• Excellent writing and online research skills
• Basic web posting and social media skills (no coding)
• Own computer and cell phone
• An interest in blogging, researching, and writing
• Should be internet savvy
• Excellent communication skills