Science Communications InternshipBookmark This
New York, NY
DescriptionReports To: Director of Science Communications
Location: New York, NY
Hours/Days Per Week: 3 to 5 days/week, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Length of Assignment: Three to four months, starting in May 2014
Preferred Major or Degree: Communications, Journalism, Pre-Med, Psychology
Internship Description: The intern will assist in writing and editing science news stories for the Autism Speaks website and with website production for both the science news and science blog columns of the website. Please familiarize yourself with our science content (http://www.autismspeaks.org/science) before applying.
The intern’s supervisor (the director of science communications) is a former journalism professor and will work closely with the intern to develop critical writing skills and the ability to translate complex science into lay-friendly prose. At the same time, intern must bring a high degree of self-motivation, and the ability to manage time and work independently and efficiently. This internship requires a considerable degree of maturity and motivation.
RequirementsRequired Skills and Knowledge
• Strong science background; must be able to read scientific studies critically and insightfully.
• Strong writing skills (grammar, composition, etc.)
• Keen interest in science writing –translating complex scientific research into meaningful prose for a lay audience (primarily families affected by autism).
• Strong time-management skills. Must be self-motivated and able to work independently and meet deadlines consistently
• Great attention to detail (perfectionist)
• Computer proficiency, particularly in Microsoft Word and web-publishing (Drupal, Wordpress, Kintera, etc.) Will be trained in Drupal, but will need strong, prior experience using a comparable platform
If you interested in applying for this internship opportunity, please e-mail your resume to Sally Ahmed, HR Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.