Magazine Internships (Virtual/Remote)Bookmark This
DescriptionThis internship is not one where you will be running errands, getting coffee, or other non-related tasks. We are looking for people who are self-motivated and can truly develop their writing skills while also being molded and learning the world of magazine publishing.
Our interns will have a chance to pitch stories and write articles. We will focus on your strengths and makes sure you gain experience in the areas of that interest you the most.
About Smile Mag
Society is constantly telling girls ages 10 to 17 that their value is in their appearance, celebrities are everything and that brainpower is not important to succeed in life.
For This Reason, Smile is about:
• Putting focus on the importance of being educated, friendly, interesting young women without feeling the need to be aesthetically “pretty” or popular.
• Publishing articles that praise girls for their efforts to change the world and less on the celebrity gossip. Focus less on boys and how to please them and more on how to be constructive young ladies.
• Not Photoshop or alter models and/or celebrities featured in the magazine and Publish models that accurately represent different shapes, sizes, colors and looks of girls today.
• Pledging to our readers to view themselves and other girls positively.
• Asking girls to take pride in who they are.
Internship Description: Candidate will report directly Managing Editor/Publisher. Minimum time commitment is a full semester at 10 to 15-hours/week. Compensation is school credit.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject should be: “Internship Application.”
ResponsibilitiesGenerate and pitch story ideas; assist with editorial calendar planning
Copyedit and fact-check articles
Report and write the occasional story or feature article
Special projects, as needed
Be a self-starter, detail-oriented, organized and capable of high-level responsibilities without significant supervision
Excellent researching, writing and communication skills
Superb grammar and firm grasp of AP style
An interest in writing positive and inspirational stories for girls ages 10 to 18.
Have Internet access and a computer with Microsoft Office