- Internships /
- Journalism /
- Freelance Reporter Intern for Gay Publication (Journalism Majors ONLY, Please)
Immediate! Speech Writer / Community Issues / DemocratCommunity First
Journalists InternshipsDelux Magazine
Editorial internCity & State magazine
Interviewing Now! Social Media Manager for LGBT Wedding StartupCitaldel Media
Journalism / Publishing InternshipTokyo Journal
Editorial / Journalism InternKamsi Magazine
Social Media - Sports NewsTha Sports Junkies 101 - aka - TSJ Sports
Summer Baseball Internship Program for College StudentsFan Media Network
Freelance Reporter Intern for Gay Publication (Journalism Majors ONLY, Please)Bookmark This
The Rainbow Times
Posted: February 08 2016
Company Location: Boston, MA
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: 5 Part-time, Paid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionWe have openings for virtual reporting (ONLY journalism) interns. Again, resumes or cover letters from others, who are NOT journalism majors, will not be considered at all.
Reporters are an integral part of the news team, working cooperatively in virtually every part of the news gathering process. Reporting Interns will help us generate story ideas and must have command of the English language. In addition, this intern will be very familiar with the Associated Press (AP) stylebook. The ideal intern/s will be able to generate story ideas, be able to manage several assignments/stories simultaneously and deliver clean copy on deadline. Deadlines must be met at all times!
The Reporter Intern (journalism majors ONLY) will learn all aspects of current industry trends and styles of reporting to develop into a professional of the field, based on the Associated Press Stylebook. We will mentor you on how to write effective stories for print and online in a timely manner, develop professional networking relationships with members of our team and other organizations obtained through interviewing by email and phone, develop Word Press skills to become self-sufficient at posting your stories on our website, maintain our company’s reporting intern twitter page by promoting your stories and others, and training new reporting interns.
ResponsibilitiesIntern Reporters will be required to submit weekly or monthly stories and to makes any necessary changes to their articles and re-submit for final approval by the assistant editor or editor-in-chief. Represent our company in a professional virtual capacity by conducting email or phone interviews with sources (provided to them). The ability to work with tight deadlines is a must. This opening is available for college credit. In addition, provided training, training modules, business feedback (resume, cover letters, business introductions, network expansion and references, etc.), is all thoroughly provided to assist you better in gaining experience and potential employment in this field.
The Reporter Intern will learn all aspects of current industry trends and styles of reporting to develop into a professional of the field, based on the Associated Press Stylebook. We will mentor you on how to write effective stories for print and online in a timely manner, develop professional networking relationships with members of our team and other organizations obtained through interviewing by email and phone, develop Word Press skills to become self-sufficient at posting your stories on our website, maintain our company’s reporting intern twitter page by promoting your stories and others, and training new reporting interns.
NOTE: This is not an hourly paid position, but rather paid by a "per-story" fee.
RequirementsThe Ideal Intern:
1. Will be organized, detail-oriented, and great at communication working on a journalism degree or having finished your journalism degree.
2. Will have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
3. Will exhibit comfort and proficiency with technology like email, the Internet, MS Office, Pages, and have the willingness to learn user-friendly software such as Google Drive, Hangouts and Skype.
4. Will be able to multi-task and work independently.
5. Must be reliable, punctual, and able to attend video conference meetings.
6. Must be flexible and outgoing as reporting assignments arise.
7. Will work under a tight deadline, since they are a must.
8. Applicants with a background and/or interest in Journalism are preferred.
9. Having an interest and passion for the reporting and the LGBT (GAY) Community would make this an exciting internship opportunity!
10. Must understand that weekly video meetings are required.
11. Must know the AP Stylebook inside out.
WHAT you should have for this internship:
1. A computer,
2. a phone,
3. writing software (Word, or Pages),
4. Skype account
6. Internet account
7. AP Stylebook copy
Internships can range from 150 to 300 hours. Typically interns average 8-10 hours per week and make their own schedule. This internship will be less than 8 hours per month. You can work days, nights, or weekends, whatever works best for you. These terms are flexible and negotiable. We will decide together prior to the start of your internship your time commitment.
To Apply you MUST:
1. Submit a COVER letter
2. Submit SAMPLES of your journalism work.
3. Include in the COVER letter a "per-story" desired fee (considering this is an internship, of course).
4. Include 3 references as well (name, email and phone number)
5. Explain how you think you are able to cover issues that deal with this particular, marginalized community, the LGBT community.
SkillsRequired - Journalism, Meet Deadlines, LGBT community, LGBT rights, Timely
Preferred - Online Journalism, Newspaper