Content & Communications Mandatory Internship (m/f)InterNations GmbH
Editorial / Journalism InternMONTREUIL GROUP
Writer // Associate Editor InternRETREAT Magazine
Editorial / Journalism InternCostco Wholesale
Editorial / Journalism InternAusgold Limited
Music BloggingRap Direct
Online Journalism/Writing Internship (Virtual)New York Minute Magazine
Lead Editor Internship (Virtual)New York Minute Magazine
Local News WriterBookmark This
Posted: September 18 2016
Company Location: Ellenwood, GA
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: 5 Part-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionLocal News writers will focus specifically on covering breaking news that is happening all across Georgia, both inside and outside the metro area. These writers will be assigned stories to cover but will also be expected to pitch local news story ideas as well. GA Followers strives to cover major stories that are impacting the metro area but also highlight smaller news stories that don't tend to receive as much coverage. A major car accident in Valdosta is just as important as one that happens on the Downtown Connector and it is imperative that our daily news writers understand this.
In addition to covering breaking news, daily staff writers will also be expected to look out for positive enterprise stories that simply highlight the things we love about Georgia and the things that make the state unique.
GA Followers is a rapidly growing digital news source that caters to a college-aged audience. For more than 5 years, GA Followers has utilized multiple platforms to share trending news and inform its readers about all things related to the state of Georgia. With nearly 850,000 followers across all social media platforms, GA Followers offers new, young writers a unique opportunity to have their work showcased to a massive audience while also learning how to further improve their journalism skills and have a better understanding of digital media.
ResponsibilitiesEntertainment/Celebrity News Writers will be responsible for:
- Pitching story ideas to the editor on a weekly basis
- Covering relevant events when necessary
- Repurposing news stories related to their beat but doing additional research that makes the content unique and caters to our demographic
- Meeting tight deadlines to have stories published in a timely manner
- Reporting directly to GA Followers editors and using feedback to refine stories in a timely manner
RequirementsRequirements For This Position:
- A thorough understanding of AP Style Guidelines
- Extremely familiar and efficient with WordPress
- Must be active on at least one social media platform
- A knack for turning information into engaging, insightful content
- A working laptop/computer and a reliable internet connection
- A natural curiosity and an urge to always ask questions
- A passion for writing and the desire to share your voice with an audience
- A great sense of humor (this is a young company with young leadership and we like to have fun)
- A genuine love for the state of Georgia!
*Please note that it is not required to live in Georgia for this position but priority will be given to applicants who currently live in Georgia
*Please be prepared to send at least two relevant writing samples after your application is reviewed. The writing samples do not need to be published but they must be relevant to the news beat you hope to cover.
SkillsRequired - WordPress, Writing, Copy Editing, Digital Journalism, News, News Writing, Breaking News
Preferred - Social Media, SEO, Investigative Research