Digital Editor For Music Blog757 Media
Content Writer, Christian LifestyleThe Gospel Live
Newsletter NinjaBeloved Streets of America
Editorial / Journalism InternTBC Media Group, LLC
Editorial / Journalism InternDirect Cannabis Network
Fashion Writer InternThe Quintessential Gentleman
Editorial / Journalism InternOphir Energy Plc.
News Reporting InternshipBookmark This
TAP Into, LLC
Multiple Locations throughout Central/Northern New Jersey
New Providence, NJ
Posted: November 12 2015
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: 10 Part-time, Unpaid (College Credit Required)
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionAre you looking to learn about and get real world experience in local journalism? TAP Into is a network of hyperlocal news website franchises that delivers original, objective, award-winning, community-based news, sports, events and more. Our sites are individually owned and operated in each town/territory by people who have a passion for community news.
Our News Reporting interns are placed with TAP Into Town Editors/Franchisees. The interns learn the ins-and-outs of the local news business from the perspective of a reporter. They will gain significant experience in covering news and events, business profiles and even breaking news. Interns will also attend monthly seminars with TAP Into’s professional staff to further learn about hyperlocal journalism.
Our interns are expected to complete the minimum mandated hours as outlined in their college/university course syllabus. TAP Into will monitor and work closely with all parties involved to ensure that all internship conditions are met by the end of each semester.
During their time with TAP Into, our interns will spend a substantial amount of time out in the field, both with and without immediate supervision. When it’s time to write a story, interns are free to produce their content from wherever they chose by the deadline assigned to each story.
TAP Into will attempt to place interns in a town that is a reasonable distance from their residence and/or college/university. Moderate travel is required to attend meetings, interviews and TAP Into seminars.
This is an UNPAID position with no guarantee of future employment with TAP into.
Interns report directly to the Editor/Franchisee of the town in which they are placed. TAP Into’s Internship Director will oversee all intern placement and work in conjunction with TAP Into’s Town Editors/Franchisees to ensure all college requirements are completed.
ResponsibilitiesTAP Into internships are a hands-on experience where no two days are alike. Our News Reporting Interns work hand-in-hand with our town editors/Franchisees, as well as TAP Into’s Staff to learn and experience the evolving field of local journalism. Reporting by our Interns is reviewed and edited by our Town Editors and professional staff who supply constructive feedback to develop the students into stronger reporters.
Additionally, News Reporting Interns are expected to:
• Write articles on a variety of topics developed by the Town Editor. Each intern will have the opportunity to assist in covering stories on town meetings, events, executive profiles, press releases and feature stories.
• Attend pitch meetings on a weekly basis with the Town Editor to develop storyboards and review previous assignments.
• Assist in the editing of press releases and other announcements
• Join online conference calls on a bi-weekly basis with the rest of the internship class for advanced seminars on professional reporting techniques
• Complete all necessary coursework related to this internship as outlined by their college/university.
RequirementsInterested candidates must meet the following criteria to be eligible for this opportunity.
Suggested qualifications include:
• Must receive academic credit.
• Previous internship or news writing experience preferred.
• Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills.
• Self-starter who can take direction and contribute ideas for stories
• The ability to work independently on projects while meeting deadlines.
• Photography and video skills a plus.
• Community development knowledge/experience a plus.