High School EditorThe Honestly
High School Content WriterThe Honestly
Editorial / Journalism InternSenvion Group
Editorial / Journalism InternCairo Group
Journalist for a Grassroots OrganizationNYAToday
Editorial / Journalism InternThe Unnamed Collective
Content WriterOur Shea-Bar
Staff WriterBookmark This
Posted: September 18 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionGA Followers is looking for daily staff writers that will contribute to the site by covering a variety of news beats including entertainment news, local news and college news. Daily staff writers will focus specifically on repurposing stories and will not be assigned breaking news that requires original research or live event coverage. The stories will range in length from 250 to 500 words with 350 words being the "sweet spot" for content.
GA Followers is a rapidly growing digital news source that caters to a college-aged audience. For more than 5 years, GA Followers has utilized multiple platforms to share trending news and inform its readers about all things related to the state of Georgia. With nearly 850,000 followers across all social media platforms, GA Followers offers new, young writers a unique opportunity to have their work showcased to a massive audience while also learning how to further improve their journalism skills and have a better understanding of digital media.
ResponsibilitiesThe staff writer will be responsible for:
- Repurposing stories at least 3 days a week to be published on the site
- Staying up to date on current trending news topics and utilizing that knowledge when repurposing content
- Learning from feedback given by GA Followers editors and using that feedback to refine and improve articles
- Keeping open communication with GA Followers editors and leadership
- Consistently adhering to their schedule and meeting deadlines that are assigned to them
RequirementsRequirements For This Position:
- A thorough understanding of AP Style Guidelines
- Extremely familiar and efficient with WordPress
- Must be active on at least one social media platform
- A knack for turning information into engaging, insightful content
- A working laptop/computer and a reliable internet connection
- A natural curiosity and an urge to always ask questions
- A passion for writing and the desire to share your voice with an audience
- A great sense of humor (this is a young company with young leadership and we like to have fun)
- A genuine love for the state of Georgia!
*Please note that it is not required to live in Georgia for this position but priority will be given to applicants who currently live in Georgia
SkillsRequired - News, Digital Copywriting, WordPress, Copy Editing, Digital Journalism, Writer
Preferred - SEO, AP style writing, Digital Media, Investigative Reporting