Kiva Legal Intern (46-557)Bookmark This
875 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA
Kiva.org was founded upon the fundamental principle that connecting people through lending can help alleviate poverty. To ensure that it succeeds, the company, along with its user base, provides borrowers with the seed capital needed to generate income, and thereby live a life of sustainability and independence. So far, this approach has enabled Kiva to raise $437 million in loans for 1,051,000+ entrepreneurs in 68 countries, momentum which it looks to continue in the coming years as it positions itself to achieve $1 billion in loans across a variety of sectors by 2015.
Kiva Legal Intern Role:
Kiva’s Legal Team is looking to have a Legal Intern help research legal issues pertinent to Kiva’s strategy and operations and create presentations and other documentation to help educate Kiva staff on these legal issues. In particular, you will work closely with the General Counsel to research microfinance legal considerations by country and write the corresponding country memos to help Kiva assess the possibilities of extending its microfinance efforts in new countries and regions. You will also be responsible for assisting the Legal Team in creating presentations regarding various legal issues that Kiva faces to help Kiva staff understand the relevance of these issues to their roles and responsibilities.
This is an ideal position for a law student with previous experience with cross-border transactions looking to volunteer their skills with Kiva and in turn, to learn from the legal issues that Kiva faces.
This is an unpaid internship.
- Highly organized individual with an aptitude for working in a start-up environment. This means being able to take on multiple projects, work independently, manage your time to meet deadlines, and happily tackle work that ranges from high-level responsibilities to tedious tasks.
- Strong legal research and writing skills are a must.
- Previous experience with cross-border transactions.
- J.D. in process or completed
- Must have own computer to bring to Kiva
- Opportunity to join the team of the world’s first online lending platform.
- Robust microfinance education and career development opportunities.
- References gladly given for successful participants.
Resume and cover letter required. Please specify your availability in the cover letter.