Legal Services InternBookmark This
NYC Department of Consumer Affairs
New York, NY
DescriptionThe New York City Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) invites interested law students to apply for internships with its Legal Division, which:
• Engages in broad-based litigation of emerging consumer law issues in New York Supreme Court and in the Department’s administrative law tribunal;
• Engages in a wide range of in-depth investigations;
• Develops strategic approaches that incorporate public policy initiatives with litigation to prevent and address deceptive and illegal trade practices;
• Develops, negotiates and implements best practices for a variety of industries; and
• Recommends and drafts statutory and regulatory revisions.
The interns’ responsibilities may include legal and factual research; drafting pleadings, subpoenas and legal memoranda; assisting in settlement negotiations; and providing general litigation support to the Department’s General Counsel and the Division’s attorneys. Interns may also attend legal proceedings before both the Administrative Tribunal and the New York Supreme Court.
Requirements• Excellent research and writing skills
• Self-starter and be comfortable working in teams
• Demonstrated interest in public interest or government service is a plus
• 2 Ls are strongly preferred.
All internships are unpaid. Some schools have permitted students to earn academic credit for successfully completing an internship. Others have made work-study and/or public interest fellowships available. Check with your school for details about its policies on such matters.
DCA and the City of New York is an equal employment opportunity employer.
To apply: Email resume and cover letter indicating Legal Services Intern to: email@example.com (MS Word only)