Litigation Internship for Juris Doctor, Recent Law School GradSamini Scheinberg PC
Criminal JusticeWilshire Financial Network
Legal Intern (Remote/Virtual Position)YSBA, LLC
Legal AdminstrativeLauth Investigations International
World Law Internship Program (Winter/Spring 2017)World Service Authority
Legal Research Intern Spring 2017Consumers for a Responsive Legal System
ParalegalLaw Office of Tracy Stallworth
Immigration Paralegal Intern (Paid)Williams Global Law PLLC
Law and Research InternBookmark This
Move to Amend
Posted: October 10 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionMove to Amend is the the national campaign to Abolish Corporate Personhood and Defend Democracy. We are mobilizing a movement to amend the US Constitution to establish that corporations are not people and that financial contributions to political campaigns are not free speech.
We are seeking bright, energetic folks to join our team as interns this spring and fall. Interns can either work out of the new office space in Sacramento, CA, or telecommute from anywhere in the United States.
LAW AND RESEARCH INTERN:
Move to Amend is seeking a Legal Intern to assist our Law & Research Team, which collaborates with and provides legal support for Move to Amend affiliate groups across the country. Please note that this is a unique opportunity that blends a legal practice with grassroots organizing for systemic change. We are committed to changing existing “settled law” as it relates to the role and functions of corporations in US society.
You will definitely have the opportunity to engage in legal research, prepare written memoranda, and also to engage in strategy discussions with the Move To Amend national Law & Research Team. You may have the opportunity to draft notice letters, briefs and other pleadings, and work on discovery. (This depends on whether any local affiliates need litigation support during your tenure).
- On-site internship: Up to $500 travel reimbursement to get to Sacramento. Also includes room & board in Sacramento, CA + $50/month for incidentals.
- Telecommute internship: $300/month stipend to cover internship costs and supplies. Must have computer, phone and high speed internet access.
Hours: Part time, 25-35 hours per week for on-site interns, open to less hours for the right person (telecommute option only).
Location: Sacramento, CA OR Telecommute
HOW TO APPLY:
For information on the application process, please visit http://movetoamend.org/internships and follow the instructions under the subsection titled "Application Process". DO NOT SIMPLY CLICK "APPLY" THROUGH THE INTERNSHIPS.COM INTERFACE BELOW. INCORRECTLY SUBMITTED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Thank you!
Responsibilities- Quickly learn about the issues on which we work and the positions we take on them, as well as the range of organizing tactics we employ.
- Use our online advocacy and email software, as well as our website content management system and our supporter contact database.
- Develop basic materials to help explain complex constitutional issues/questions to non-lawyers.
- Produce content for Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites.
- Attend, facilitate, and help with logistics for Law & Research Team monthly conference calls.
- Assist, support and participate with the National Staff during monthly conference calls with local affiliates, and other activities as needed and directed.
- Review incoming communications requesting legal help. Direct requests to the appropriate parties. Respond to public inquiries as required.
- Conduct research and prepare memorandums on: direct municipal legislation, using citizen initiatives for “advisory questions,” the difference between 501c(3) and 501c(4) entities, using statewide initiatives to ratify a Constitutional Amendment, and what an Article V Constitutional Amendment might entail.
- Perform other functions as needed.
Requirements- Be a superb writer who communicates in a precise, concise, accessible and persuasive manner (will be asked to submit writing samples).
- Have strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Web applications, Google Docs, experience with Adobe design software a plus).
- Work hard and stay on task.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Excel whether working individually or in teams.
- Work well with people - strong interpersonal skills.
- Take responsibility for assignments and meet deadlines.
- Flourish in an environment that is highly transparent and collaborative.
- Possesses political savvy, and be knowledgeable about and interested in politics, policy, advocacy, and social movements.
- Consume various types of media and be familiar with current events.
- Work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Have a strong passion for Move to Amend and the issues we address
Preferred but not required:
- Experience in a similar position
- Working knowledge of Drupal, Basecamp, CiviCRM, Salsa, and Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign
- An operating vehicle