Tech Startup seeking Assistant Project Manager InternBookmark This
DescriptionKrowdByz is a web technology startup working to revolutionize the future of online business interactions, and creating virtual tools for the internet based freelancer community. Our customers are small businesses, internet professionals, and independent freelancers who work in the online services marketplace - one of the fastest growing industries worldwide. Our current product is a new kind of profile building engine for freelancers that do “micro-jobs” (think Fiverr and Elance), and need a different type of “web resume” to record their job history. (You can learn more about the company at www.KrowdByz.com)
We are currently looking for interns for the Spring semester, but reviewing applications for the Summer as well. Acceptances are on a rolling basis - you can start when you are ready - and continue for a 12 active weeks commitment.
As a startup, we subscribe to the decentralised lean development model, so our Tech and Business departments and associated personnel are spread across multiple cities and time zones. There is no central office - the bulk of our creative process happens in virtual collaborative environments - which allows us greater flexibility in recruiting talent, and working across geographic locations. Therefore, our Tech Department hosts a virtual internship that can be done from anywhere in the US, or anywhere in the world (and we welcome international applicants). This is not an internship for people who aren’t independently motivated or are looking for a traditional office workplace (or a way to get a work visa).
This program requires participants to be serious about taking initiative, staying in contact, being willing to learn from and take critical feedback from their teammates, as well as be able to work with multiple partners (in locations around the world) within a virtual office space. There will be no fake work, no copies or coffee getting. You will get to work on real projects, work with a team, be creative, get mentorship, learn fast or miss out, and have your skills challenged and improved. And if you earn our respect through your dedication (and not just your skills) - there will be multiple supervisors to provide you with letters of recommendation and serve as a long term reference.
Disclaimer: Given vacancies in our Tech Department, and budget availability, at the end of the internship the best interns may be offered full time and part time positions with the company. Truly exceptional individuals may be approached sooner, or be offered paid internships. But participation in the internship itself does not guarantee placement in the Company.
Responsibilities- This program is for individuals from computer science majors with excellent logical, creative, and problem solving skills, or business/humanities majors with acquired technical skills. We are looking for individuals who want to be challenged, and have their leadership skills be tested in a fast paced, international, collaborative environment.
- This track requires a high degree of leadership, confidence, communication skills and creativity.
- Learn how tech projects go from idea stage, to strategy, to execution, to completion. Depending on your experience you will get to participate creatively in the establishment of new projects, task delineation, active process management and problem solving.
- IMPORTANT: You cannot do this internship if you cannot function as at least a basic level front-end or back-end developer. You will need to be able to read code, enforce our development standards, check for bad coding, read and improve code commenting, problem solve, and make creative decisions for other developers. If you can’t code on your own - you will not be able lead a development team.
- You will work on a fast moving and growing project. You will learn how to create and improve system requirements and design documents, manage developers, designers and QA, work under a deadline, lead group meetings, research for problems, create training documentation and even help in recruiting for people on your team.
Our Project Manager internship has four distinct stages.
Learn everything about the company and the product. Understand all the interfaces and their relationships. Know our coding standards, development and documentation practices. Work with developers and QA, and participate in function and code reviews, bug fixing, documentation improvement, or step into active development. As a leader you will be expected to know what we do and how we do it - better than others.
Project Manager Assistant:
Work with another project manager to maintain an existing project or improve a function. This will be change to create your own documentation, suggest improvements, and show your creativity, communication skills and teamwork.
If we are confident in your leadership and communication skills. You will be assigned a small team of developers and/or QA to work on an interface or function. You will be working with the general project manager and group leaders.
The best team leaders will be promoted to leading interface groupings and be responsible for multiple teams and their goals. Work with the CEO, CTO and other group leaders.
RequirementsApplicants must have:
- A comprehensive resume detailing previous applicable experience (you can also add a cover letter to fill in gaps).
- A knowledge of using Gdocs and social media. (A Gmail account will be useful.)
- Your hours will be flexible, but we expect a minimum 10-15 hours a week time commitment to qualify as an “active” week (with breaks for finals, family, etc.). The internship is successfully completed after logging in 12 active weeks.
You can speed up the application process taking one of the skill based tests at www.krowdbyz.com/internships and following the instructions there. You can also email us directly by sending your resume to email@example.com (remember to start your email’s subject with the skill track you are interested in).