Marketing InternBookmark This
PopLocal is an online platform to connect independent boutiques and designers with stylish and socially conscious shoppers. Boutiques and designers post fabulous collections and design savvy shoppers get to purchase thousands of unique items whether they’re in boutiques right around the corner, or on the other side of the world. PopLocal makes it easy for boutiques and designers to build deep relationships with customers via easy marketing tools.
About the Founders:
Sumeera Rasul: Sumeera’s professional background and experience lies in digital product development, innovation and execution. She began her career as a software engineer and later worked as a Sr. Manager at Apple and User Experience Strategist at Google. Prior to working at Silicon Valley’s big names, Sumeera worked in New York and London as a digital Executive Producer launching advertising campaigns for high-profile clients such as Nokia, Nike, GE, Starbucks and Johnson & Johnson.
Having grown up with a family business involving textile design, Sumeera has a deep passion for small boutiques, independent designers, and shopping local.
Sheila Iverson: Sheila has been working in the digital advertising and marketing field for over 13 years. She is experienced in all facets of digital development from initial strategic conception to product and campaign launch. Some of the award winning work that she’s most proud of includes campaigns for clients such as Nike, Prada, GE and Verizon.
Sheila is a New Jersey native who ended up moving to Los Angeles, 8 years ago, after meeting her husband, a native Californian, in NY when they were working together on the Nike launch. They now reside in the heart of LA, centrally located to all things fashion, food and art, with their two year old daughter. You will often find Sheila out and about in her neighborhood at an art opening, shopping at the local farmer’s market or simply browsing the local boutiques. PopLocal is an opportunity for her to bring together her two passions: sustainable community growth and love of all things digital. Buy local! Support local!
About the Internship Program:
At PopLocal, students will have a chance to develop strong communication and professional skills to give them a competitive advantage in the workforce. Interns will receive (1) valuable experience in building relationships with design boutiques, marketing, and consulting, (2) personal mentorship to help them achieve their career goals, and (3) numerous networking opportunities. While this is an unpaid internship, it is designed to be an educational and career-advancing experience where students will be doing meaningful work.
Responsibilities1. PR & Marketing: Help develop PR and marketing strategy, participate in brainstorming sessions, create media lists, perform client research, and help write proposals.
2. Copywriting: Work with Senior Management to collaborate on boutique proposals and various website copies.
3. Networking: Attend networking events to meet influential people in fashion and design.
4. Business Management: Assist with creating necessary spreadsheets to manage finances and clients, track event logistics, and screen expenses incurred by PopLocal.
5. Social Media: Help implement strategy to increase Facebook and Twitter followings.
6. Proposal Formatting: Use InDesign and Illustrator to format official company documents and proposals.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday Jan 24th with:
1. Your resume
2. A cover letter (sent as an attachment) explaining why you’re interested in the internship, what skills you have to offer, and why you’d be the perfect fit for PopLocal. Also, if applicable, include any links to works online you’d like to share. (i.e. blog, design portfolio)
3. Email subject line: “PopLocal Fall Internship: [YOUR NAME]
4. Fill out form at: http://bit.ly/R2BsAg
RequirementsWhat We’re Looking For:
1. Extreme reliability, hard-working attitude, and ability to take initiative
2. Strong organization and time management skills. Ability to manage multiple projects
3. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
4. PR, marketing, social media, event planning, or publishing experience
If you have experience with and access to the Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign & Illustrator) and/or WordPress, please indicate it in your cover letter.