PR Marketing & Communications AssociateBookmark This
The Black Institute
39 Broadway; Suite 1540
New York, NY
DescriptionThe mission of The Black Institute (TBI) is to shape intellectual discourse and dialogue and impact public policy uniquely from a Black perspective (a perspective which includes all people of color in the United States and throughout the Diaspora). The Black Institute will translate the “think” in think-tank into “action” through a head, heart and feet strategy: the head being research, data gathering, polling and academic partnerships; the heart being civic education, training and development; and the feet being on the ground organizing and issue based campaigns. TBI will change the discourse of public debate, train and educate new leadership and develop initiatives to build wealth, build power and deliver justice to Black people.
We are in the process of expanding its communications support to further strengthen the effectiveness and reach of our organization, its mission and its programs. This newly created internship will provide support for this effort. The PR, Marketing & Communications Associate will work alongside the Executive Director to expand TBI’s brand and increase its local, state and national media presence.
Responsibilities• Developing media plans and timelines
• Writing press releases, announcements, web text, and other materials with and for network groups;
• Strengthening relationships and maintaining communications with state-based reporters and bloggers covering issues that align with the organization mission.
• Building and updating traditional and non-traditional media contact lists;
• Tracking and researching coverage in the media and utilizing results to build new communication strategies;
• Keeping pace with technology and new media developments; and
• Assisting with communications and general office tasks as they arise.
• Assisting in the planning, coordination, and marketing of special events
• Assisting the President, Executive Director and Webmaster PR, Marketing and Communication efforts related to the organization’s website and or social media endeavors
• Work closely with Social Media Associate to ensure that branding is cohesive in relation to PR, Marketing, Communications and social media
• Other duties as assigned by the President, Executive Director, and Webmaster
Requirements• Enrollment in PR, Marketing, Journalism, Communications, English and/or related field.
• Strong writing, research, and editing abilities, knowledge of AP writing style.
• Good news judgment, ability to write compelling news releases and engaging web copy and stories in fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work with and support state and local partners of varying size and media capabilities.
• Willingness to take initiative, and motivation to seek new learning opportunities.
• Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking.
• Ability to juggle multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines.
• Desktop publishing, HTML, and related computer skills with interest and/or experience in graphic design and/or social media