Smithsonian On-Line Marketing InternBookmark This
The Smithsonian Associates (TSA)
1100 Jefferson Drive, SW - Suite 3077
The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) advances the Smithsonian Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Support the Web & eMarketing Team by assisting with eMarketing projects, such as:
• Help with eMarketing campaigns by sending emails to targeted members of the TSA database to help fill open spaces in classes and tours.
• Design, write and proof emails. Assist with website copy-writing
• Using web analytics software to research results from marketing campaigns and report on findings
• Participation in planning and strategy sessions for specific projects
• May include some content management for social networking websites as well as friend communication and contest implementation
• Assist with research as needed
• Additional projects as assigned based on marketing needs and skills of applicant.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
• Develop enhanced communication skills for customer relation and marketing
• Become familiar with common eMarketing tools, reporting and best practices that are valuable for future employment
• Gain exposure to a wide variety of real life marketing needs and solutions
• Practice database management and learning to target campaigns for greater ROI and lower COS, to ensure successful marketing approaches
Spring (Jan – May), Summer (Jun – Aug) & Fall (Sep - Dec)
1 semester (Preference given to applicants who can stay a full school year)
Monday - Thursday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm; Hours flexible
All TSA Internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern's university/college.
Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.
Spring – October 1
Summer – February 1
Fall – July 1
If you have any questions, please contact:
Ms. Meg Smolinski
1100 Jefferson Drive SW - Suite 3077
PO Box 23293
Washington DC 20026-3293
For more information about internships with The Smithsonian Associates go to: http://residentassociates.org/ticketing/internships/start.aspx
Candidates should possess the following skills:
• Strong writing, organizational and interpersonal skills. Impeccable attention to detail
• Basic facility with computers and technology; basic html knowledge preferred
• A basic knowledge of Photoshop and aesthetic abilities
• Positive energy and an eagerness to learn.
• Flexibility and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. College students at the junior, senior and graduate levels studying marketing, communications, music administration or public relations are preferred.
Prospective interns are required to submit the following:
1. Application for Smithsonian Institute Internships
2. Two letters of recommendation (usually from professors)
3. Recent writing sample (usually a paper written for school and at least two pages)
4. Most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
Interns at the Smithsonian are required to undergo a security background investigation and fingerprinting through the Office of Protection Services before they are accepted into an internship.
The following student majors are desired for this intern position, but other areas of study will be considered: