Special Events InternBookmark This
Open Arms of Minnesota
2500 Bloomington Ave.
DescriptionWith Open Arms, we nourish body, mind and soul
It’s a simple notion: people who are sick should not be without food. Yet it happens every day that people in our community with life-threatening illnesses find themselves unable to shop or cook — and, often, without the support network to help.
That’s where we come in. Open Arms is the only nonprofit organization in Minnesota that cooks and delivers free meals specifically tailored to meet the nutrition needs of individuals living with HIV/AIDS, MS, ALS, breast cancer and more than 60 other diseases. We also work with communities in sub-Saharan Africa, providing food and technical assistance for people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS.
Open Arms is also unique in its phenomenal community of donors and more than 2,000 volunteers — the folks who work with us every day, ensuring that we continue to do our work with enthusiasm, joy and success.
The Special Events intern will report to the Event Manager and will assist with event planning efforts for Open Arms of Minnesota (OAM). This is an outstanding opportunity for an individual interested in learning more about non-profit fundraising and event planning.
ResponsibilitiesThe internship offers exciting hands-on experience and the opportunity to gain new skills. Intern activities may include, but are not limited to participation in day-to-day activities at OAM, meetings with staff, volunteers, donors and stakeholders, site visits with OAM partners, and writing reports and materials.
A commitment of 20 hours a week for a minimum of three months is required. This is an unpaid internship; although OAM will work with the colleges or universities to help interns receive credit for their work, or to confirm service for fellowships.
Requirements• BA/BS degree completed or in progress
• Previous internship or related experience in fundraising or event planning is a plus
• Strong communication skills and outstanding ability to maintain and foster relationships
• Ability to work with a diverse base of volunteers and clients
• Professional demeanor and outstanding phone etiquette
• Excellent writer, strategic thinker
• Ability to work independently
• Detail oriented
• Availability to work some nights and weekends
• Access to transportation
• Enthusiasm for the mission of Open Arms of Minnesota and the clients we serve
• Ability to operate standard office equipment (such as telephone, personal computer, printer and copy machine) and set up tabletop displays
• Ability to sit for long periods of time and work on a computer
• Ability to lift 50 pounds or more