Public Relations InternBookmark This
P. O. Box 4528
Posted: December 04 2014
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionAPPEAL, Inc. is a non-profit enterprise that is conducting insightful workshops in financial literacy and historical and cultural literacy, has established a think-tank to analyze socio-economic issues, and is developing a credit union and online bank. APPEAL’s mission is to organize and strategically utilize the vast resources of people of African descent, locally, nationally and globally, to facilitate economic empowerment and educational enrichment to produce strong, self-sufficient and prosperous communities.
We are in search of an experienced public relations intern to work in the DC/MD/Northern Virginia area to assist us with our organization. The public relations position is part-time. The ideal candidate will have had previous internship experience or coursework related to public relations.
Provides PR services by updating and maintaining websites including a blog and social media profiles.
Special Note to Applicants:
• Provide 3 personal and/or professional references
• This is a part-time position
• Work is performed virtually
• We do provide letters of reference
• No benefits or pay are provided with this position
• This position is open until filled
• Creates and revises systems and procedures for tracking and analyzing website traffic and data.
• Resolves website problems by coordinating preparation of reports, analyzing data, and identifying solutions.
• Maintain company social media profiles.
• Develop new ideas increase company social media presence.
• Tracks, measure and record hits on social media.
• Creates social media campaigns.
• May assist with developing content for blog, newsletter and/or company website.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Building relationships with different associations and companies that mesh well with the company’s branding strategy
RequirementsSkills and Qualifications:
• Basic understanding of principles of PR
• Basic understanding of research and media list building tools (Factiva, Edge, etc.)
• Create and maintain media lists
• Exercise good judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information.
• Understand written and verbal instructions to complete assigned tasks accurately.
• Ability to communicate effectively and respond with empathy to clients and others.
• Ability to respond inquiries through one-on-one interactions via telephone, email or, written correspondence.
• Ability to edit and proofread including spell check and grammar agreement documentation.
• Demonstrated proficiency using social media technologies.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Knowledgeable about media outlets.
• Familiar with blogs and newspapers.
• Successful and experienced in drafting media pitches, press releases, news articles and other communications materials.
• Computer proficient in email and Internet research.
• Ability to analyze information.
• Ability to meet deadlines and set goals.
• Detail and results oriented.
• Self-starter, dependable, disciplined, accountable, respectable, organizational and problem-solving skills, ability to multi-task.
Mandatory Job Requirements:
• Pursuing Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Communications or related field
• Minimum 1 year experience in an office environment
• Experience with PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Access, Outlook
• Experience with Word Press or Blogger
• Experience with Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Google Analytics
• Experience with Adobe Professional, Adobe Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Photoshop
• Ability to create reports
SkillsRequired - Public Relations, Public Relations Skills, Communications, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Google Adwords, Google Analytics
Preferred - Adobe Professional, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Photoshop